Sensex at two-month high on eurozone revival hopes, GAAR (Roundup)June 29th, 2012 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 29 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets Friday rallied to a two-month high, rising 439 points on hopes of a eurozone revival and the government clarification on tax laws.
The bourses started off the day in green, Sensex at 17,134.61 and Nifty at 5,189, and witnessed gradual upward trend thereafter.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), closed at 17,429.98 points, up 2.59 percent or just 439.22 points from its previous close of 16,990.76 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 2.52 percent higher at 5,278.90 points.
Markets rose after news started came in from Europe regarding an emergency action to bring down Italy’s and Spain’s spiralling borrowing costs. Reports said European leaders at the EU summit in Brussels decided that they would use their permanent bailout fund to recapitalise the struggling banks.
Also, the General Anti-Avoidance Rules directives the Indian government announced Thursday night added to the bullish market sentiments.
During the day, the rupee appreciated by 47 paise to 56.33 against the dollar.
The BSE capital goods index was up 352.97 points, the power index was up 68.23 points and the banking index was up 401.21 points.
Major Sensex gainers were Jindal Steel, up 8.74 percent at Rs.469.50; Tata Power, up 5.81 percent at Rs.104.71; ICICI Bank, up 5.03 percent at Rs.899.60; BHEL, up 4.93 percent at Rs.232.10; Sterlite Inds, up 4.91 percent at Rs.102.65.
The only Sensex loser was Coal India, which closed 0.14 percent down at Rs.347.40.
At the closing bell here, European markets also surged, led by the positivity coming from the EU summit.
Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE 100 were trading 2.11 and 1.27 percent higher respectively, while France’s CAC was down 2.41 percent.
- Sensex rises 439.22 points; bank, metal stocks up - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex gains 457 points; likely to remain bullish (Weekly market review) - Jul 01, 2012
- Sensex at 2 month high on EU hopes, GAAR clarifications - Jun 29, 2012
- Sensex closes 31 points down (Roundup) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex surges 381 points; Jindal Steel, Maruti Suzuki rally (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Sensex down 31.93 points (Lead, correcting figures in Paras 1 and 2) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex zooms 439 points on US stimulus, diesel price hike (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Sensex closes flat on derivatives expiry, weak European cues (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex slides 320 points to close below 17,000 (Roundup) - May 04, 2012
- Sensex closes flat (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 200 points on stronger rupee - May 28, 2012
- Sensex falls for second week on earnings and negative cues (Weekly Market Review) - May 05, 2012
- Sensex closes 357 points up amid positive global cues (Roundup) - Mar 09, 2012
- Sensex above 17,000, JP Morgan upgrades Indian stocks (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: bailout, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, bullish market, capital goods, closing bell, coal india, emergency action, european leaders, ftse 100, inds, market sentiments, national stock exchange, paise, positivity, power index, sensex, sensitive index, tata power