Sensex at 2 month high on EU hopes, GAAR clarificationsJune 29th, 2012 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 29 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets jumped 2.17 percent - touching a two month high - in the afternoon session Friday led by European Union (EU) leaders’ proposals for reviving the economy in the Eurozone and clarifications on the General Anti Avoidance Rules (GAAR).
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,134.61 points, was trading at 17,358.67 points in the afternoon session, up 2.17 percent or 367.91 points from its previous close at 16,990.76 points - hitting its highest levels since May 2.
Positive news from Europe led to the bullish market sentiments as the Eurozone leaders Friday agreed to take emergency action to bring down Italy’s and Spain’s spiralling borrowing costs.
The two-day European Union summit which begun June 28 in Brussels is deliberating on how to prevent the Eurozone falling apart.
On the draft guidelines of the GAAR, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday sought wide consultations and said these would be finalised only after receiving feedback.
As per the GAAR directives announced Thursday evening, the tax evasion rules will be invoked in cases where it was found that the entity had taken the benefits of tax avoidance treaties.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was trading 2.14 percent higher at 5,259.20 points.
The BSE capital goods index was up 292.25 points, the power index was up 52.40 points and the banking index was up 303.01 points.
Major Sensex gainers were Tata Power, up 3.99 percent at Rs.102.90; Maruti Suzuki, up 3.54 percent at Rs.1,158.10; ICICI Bank, up 3.50 percent at Rs.886.50; Larsen and Toubro, up 3.50 percent at Rs.1388.15 and BHEL, up 3.48 percent at Rs.228.90.
In the Asian region, the Japan’s Nikkei was up 1.50 percent, while Hong Kong’s Hang Seng gained 2.48 percent.
- Sensex surges 381 points; Jindal Steel, Maruti Suzuki rally (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Sensex at two-month high on eurozone revival hopes, GAAR (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Sensex rises 439.22 points; bank, metal stocks up - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex closes flat on derivatives expiry, weak European cues (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sensex down 146.58 points during noon trade - May 11, 2012
- Sensex rises 66 points; metal, IT stocks up (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex down 168 points - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex sheds early gains, down 16 points (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Sensex falls on global economic growth worries - Jul 06, 2012
- Sensex rises 204 points on short covering, tax clarity (Roundup) - Mar 27, 2012
- Sensex rallies 226 points on European cues (Roundup) - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 17 points down on growth worries (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex rebounds after government defers GAAR (Roundup) - May 07, 2012
Tags: benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, bullish market, draft guidelines, emergency action, european union summit, eurozone, larsen and toubro, manmohan singh, market sentiments, national stock exchange, power index, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sensex, sensitive index, tata power, tax avoidance, tax evasion