Sensex at 14-month high, surging 404 points on reforms hopes (Roundup)September 21st, 2012 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 21 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets zoomed 404 points to close in a 14-month high Friday on hopes of more policy reforms in the coming days.
Power, capital goods and metal stocks were the best performers.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 18,411.20 points, closed 18,752.83 points, 403.58 points or 2.20 percent up from its previous day’s close at 18,349.25 points.
The Sensex earlier in the day had surged 464 points and touched a high of 18,866.87 and had fallen to a low of 18,411.20 points in intra-day trade.
The BSE midcap index was up 102.15 points while the smallcap index was 98.24 points high.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 2.46 percent at Rs.5,691.15.
On the sectoral front, the BSE power index was up 82.98 points while capital goods index was up 424.65 points and metal index was up 416.76 points.
The major Sensex gainers were BHEL, up 7.12 percent at Rs.232.30; Jindal Steel, up 6.41 percent at Rs.426.60; Sterlite Inds, up 5.20 percent at Rs.104.20; SBI, up 4.30 percent at Rs.2,212.60; and ICICI Bank, up 4.19 percent at Rs.1,065.25.
There were only four Sensex losers — Dr Reddys Lab, down 1.38 percent at Rs.1,643.55; TCS, down 1.38 percent at Rs.1,303.30; Infosys, down 0.80 percent at Rs.2,594.65; and Sun Pharma, down 0.10 percent at Rs.669.30.
Other Asian markets closed in green. Japan’s Nikkei closed 0.25 percent up, while Shanghai’s composite index closed 0.09 percent higher. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 0.70 percent up.
European markets were trading mixed. France’s CAC was up 0.45 percent and so was Germany’s DAX, up 0.87 percent. Britain’s FTSE 100 was trading 0.09 percent lower.
- Sensex pares early gains, still 390 points up (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Sensex closes 415 points up on hopes of more policy reforms (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Sensex zooms 446 points on hopes of more policy reforms - Sep 21, 2012
- Sensex down 31.93 points (Lead, correcting figures in Paras 1 and 2) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex up for the third day, rises 38 points - Aug 01, 2012
- Sensex closes 38 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex rises 31 points; oil and gas, PSU stocks up - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex down 19 points, oil and gas stocks lose - Sep 18, 2012
- Sensex climbs 119 points; SBI, RIL rally (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Sensex closes 56 points up on interest rate cut hopes (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, composite index, dr reddys lab, european markets, ftse 100, inds, metal index, metal stocks, midcap index, national stock exchange, policy reforms, power index, rs 2, sensex, sensitive index, smallcap index, sun pharma