Sensex above 16,000-mark, realty, FMCG stocks fall (Lead)June 5th, 2012 - 7:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Tuesday closed above the 16,000-mark amid rupee volatility and eurozone concern. Realty, FMCG and consumer durable stocks fell on profit-booking by risk-weary investors.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,065.37 points closed at 16,020.64 points, up 0.20 percent or 32.24 points from its previous close of 15,988.40 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,138.29 points and a low of 15,979.77 in intra-day trade. The BSE midcap index rose 19.23 points while the smallcap index rose 12.79 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.31 percent higher at 4863.30 points.
The Sensex shed 120 points from the day’s high amid increased selling in the last hour of trade. Realty, FMCG and consumer durable scrips came under selling pressure.
The BSE realty index declined 1.37 percent, the FMCG index slumped 1.09 percent while consumer durable index fell by 0.67 percent.
The major Sensex losers were Tata Motors, down 3.15 percent at Rs.221.55; Bharti Airtel, down 2.58 percent at Rs.287.05; ITC, down 1.89 percent at Rs.225.85; DLF, down 1.48 percent at Rs.183.25; and Coal India, down 1.09 percent at Rs.316.60.
The Sensex gainers included Larsen and Toubro, up 3.08 percent at Rs.1209.50; NTPC, up 1.98 percent at Rs.146.95; SBI, up 1.66 percent at Rs.2080.25; Hindalco Inds, up 1.60 percent at Rs.117.15; and BHEL, up 1.47 percent at Rs.210.10.
Globally, Germany’s DAX lost 1 percent, Athex Composite of Greece slumped 2 percent while the French CAC remained flat.
- Sensex slides 156.93 points; consumer durables, realty stocks down - Jun 04, 2012
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex closes in green, HUL top gainer (Roundup) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 18 points higher (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex rises 49 points, realty, oil and gas high (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex falls 64 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Sensex ends in green; FMCG, auto stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 43 points high (Second lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex closes 71 points down, FMCG, metal stocks plummet (Roundup) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex rallies 300 points; auto, FMCG stocks surge - Jun 06, 2012
- Sensex rises 147.78 points; consumer durables, realty stocks up - Jun 11, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
Tags: benchmark index, bharti airtel, bhel, bombay stock exchange, bse, coal india, dlf, fmcg stocks, inds, larsen and toubro, midcap index, national stock exchange, ntpc, profit booking, sbi, scrips, sensex, sensitive index, smallcap index, tata motors