Security sought to run trains in Assam (Lead)July 24th, 2012 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) The central and Assam governments were Tuesday urged to provide security so that trains halted due to communal clashes in the state could run again.
Railway Minister Mukul Roy made the request to Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, an official statement said.
He said the train services had been crippled in a 54-km stretch between Srirampur and Salakati railway stations, leaving a large number of railway passengers stranded.
According to the ministry, 26 trains have been cancelled. In addition, 37 have been halted at various stations.
- 25,000 train passengers stranded in Assam (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Railway seeks security to move stranded trains in Assam - Jul 24, 2012
- Railways starts train movement in violence hit Assam - Jul 25, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- Assam burns, 32 dead, thousands homeless (Night Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Special Guwahati-Bangalore train to run Sep 1 - Aug 29, 2012
- Gogoi seeks new trains for Assam - Feb 07, 2012
- Exodus reversed: Special train to Bangalore leaves Guwahati - Sep 01, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Violence rages in Assam, death toll 25 (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam ministers rush to violence-hit Kokrajhar - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam asks railway to help people go back - Aug 22, 2012
- Assam ministers in Kokrajhar, 19 dead (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Parts of northeast cut-off, train services disrupted - Oct 22, 2011