Security beefed up in MumbaiSeptember 14th, 2008 - 7:28 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Sept 14 (ANI): With the serial bomb blasts in Delhi coming on the eve of Ganpati immersion, Mumbai’’s biggest annual event, the challenge of providing security to immersions came under fresh focus today as Maharashtra police sounded an alert after the bombings.
Mumbai Police Commissioner Hassan Gafoor said that vigil was stepped up across Mumbai and traffic slowed down as vehicles were checked on arterial roads. Particular attention was being given to areas near the immersion sites. Officials said that a total of 20,000 police along with 1,600 traffic police besides units from the National Security Guard (NSG) and bomb detection and disposal teams are on the streets of Mumbai.
Mumbai police has erected five control rooms and 37 watchtowers across the city to control traffic. They have also installed 81 CCTV cameras along important immersion routes, four of them on the Lalbaugcha Raja route alone.
Main roads leading to the immersion sites of Girgaum chowpatty, Dadar chowpatty, Juhu beach and Versova will remain closed for traffic.
Further, cars without Ganesh idols will not be allowed to enter beaches and firecrackers will not be allowed. (ANI)
- Navy, Coast Guard deployed in Mumbai for Ganesh immersions - Sep 21, 2010
- Peaceful start to Ganesh idol immersions in Mumbai - Sep 22, 2010
- Ganpati immersion ceremony ends in Maharashtra (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Two-wheeler ban likely at Ganesh immersion sites - Sep 08, 2011
- Maharashtra bids adieu to Lord Ganesh (Lead) - Sep 11, 2011
- Goodbye to gigantic Ganesh idols (With Images) - Apr 23, 2012
- Mumbai readies for Ganesh festival revelry from Saturday - Sep 10, 2010
- Five speedboats to boost Maharashtra's coastal vigil (Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- Mumbai Police gear up for MNS march - Aug 21, 2012
- Mumbai celebrates Anant Chatudashi today - Sep 14, 2008
- Post-immersion, Mumbai residents clean up beaches - Sep 23, 2010
- Ganesh Chaturthi: Bollywood too joins the festivities - Sep 11, 2011
- Mumbaikars bid colourful adieu to Ganesh (Lead) (With Image) - Sep 03, 2009
- Bust to honour cop who caught Kasab alive - May 30, 2011
- Sunken ship spewing less oil, say maritime authorities - Aug 09, 2011
Tags: arterial roads, bomb blasts in delhi, bomb detection, bombings, cctv cameras, chowpatty, firecrackers, ganesh idols, hassan, immersion, juhu beach, lalbaugcha raja, main roads, nsg, police commissioner, security guard, traffic police, versova, vigil, watchtowers