Second day of BRT sees traffic snarls in DelhiApril 21st, 2008 - 12:51 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 21 (IANS) The second day of the test run of the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system from Ambedkar Nagar to Moolchand in south Delhi resulted in major traffic snarls Monday as offices opened up for the week. “There is a lot of confusion. People don’t have a clue about the division of lanes for different vehicles and it has resulted in traffic jams. With the vehicular traffic triple that of Sundays, normal commuting time has nearly doubled,” said a hapless office goer.
Senior traffic police officials could be seen guiding cyclists, auto-rickshaws, scooters and cars to their respective corridors.
“Cars have been piling up as people have no knowledge about the separate corridors,” a cyclist said.
The 5.6 km long Ambedkar Nagar-Moolchand opened Sunday for a trial run. The corridor on each side has four lanes, meant for the buses, scooters and cars, cyclists and pedestrians. The width of the bus lane is 3.5 metres, while that of the scooters-cars is seven metres; cyclists and pedestrians have a two metre lane each.
- Will move apex court over bus corridor: Dikshit - Jul 17, 2012
- Government reply sought on plea over bus corridor - Jan 19, 2012
- Court wants government study on bus corridor - Mar 07, 2012
- Delhi bus corridor concept not bad: Court - Sep 10, 2012
- Delhi government to study bus corridor report by July 23 (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Court restores transit corridor's lane to buses - Sep 11, 2012
- Delhi government slams critical report on bus corridor (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Retain trial-run set-up on BRT corridor, orders court - Jul 05, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi government on bus corridor - Aug 01, 2012
- Bus corridor case sent to new high court bench - Sep 03, 2012
- 'Conduct fresh study on bus corridor' - Mar 15, 2012
- Delhi government slams critical report on bus corridor - Jul 23, 2012
- Retain trial-run set-up on Delhi bus corridor: Court (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Manic Monday on Delhi's special bus corridor (Lead) - Apr 22, 2008
- Pile ups continue on car lane of bus corridor - Apr 28, 2008
Tags: brt, bus lane, bus rapid transit, buses, cars, clue, commuting time, confusion, corridors, cyclists, goer, New Delhi, pedestrians, police officials, scooters, south delhi, traffic jams, traffic police, traffic snarls, vehicular traffic