Scope to reduce bank lending rates: RBI chiefMay 13th, 2009 - 11:58 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 13 (IANS) Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor D. Subbarao late Wednesday said there was scope to reduce lending rates by banks in the current economic context.
“Given the current economic context and the policy initiatives of the RBI, there is considerable scope for banks to reduce the lending rates,” Subbarao said at an interactive session orgainsed by the Karnataka chapter of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
Clarifying that the monetary transmission was working well in India, Subbarao said banks had responded by cutting their lending rates from 50 basis points to 250 basis points.
“Banks have also said as much as 75 percent of their lending was below the BPLR (benchmark prime lending rate). It is not correct to evaluate their lending rates by just looking at their BPLR but must look at their effective lending, which has come down significantly from 2007-08 to 2008-09 to 2009-10,” Subbarao noted.
“Unlike in other countries where monetary transmission has broken as they are at the centre of the financial crisis, it is working in India though weaker than it was before because of the impact of the crisis,” the central bank chief added.
Monetary transmission deals with the policy-induced changes in the nominal money stock or the short-term nominal interest rate on real variations such as aggregate output and employment.
- Scope to reduce bank lending rates: RBI chief (Lead) - May 14, 2009
- Subbarao sees scope to cut rates in 2012 - Jul 31, 2012
- India Inc welcomes rate cut - Apr 17, 2012
- India's central bank cuts key rates - Apr 17, 2012
- India's central bank cuts rates to push growth (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Inflation too high, says RBI; defends tight money policy (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Shifting focus to growth, RBI infuses Rs.320 bn into system (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- India Inc welcomes rate cut (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- India's central bank cuts interest rates to spur economy (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- India's central bank infuses more money into system (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged as inflation outlook worsens (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- India's central bank infuses more money in system - Jan 24, 2012
- Indian Overseas Bank raises lending rate - Jul 01, 2011
- RBI governor meets Mukherjee ahead of policy review - Apr 03, 2012
- Highlights of Indian central bank's monetary policy update - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: aggregate output, bangalore, bank lending rates, bank of india, banks, basis points, central bank chief, confederation of indian industry, economic context, financial crisis, interactive session, monetary transmission, money stock, nominal interest rate, policy initiatives, prime lending rate, rbi governor, reserve bank of india, scope, variations