SCI planning to enter offshore businessJuly 8th, 2011 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 8 (IANS) The Shipping Corporation of India is planning to enter offshore business.
“We do not have any plan to talk about (entering the offshore business), but yes we felt that we should be in the entire gamut of offshore,” Shipping Corporation of India Chairman and Managing Director S. Hajara told reporters here Friday.
“We have never been present in the dominant segment, but we feel that it is the sunrise industry,” he said.
Stating that offshore industry was a huge potential sunrise area for India, he said offshore business was gaining more and more importance and the maritime component in the offshore was again gaining further significance.
Hajara said shipping industry in the country was going through a difficult stage.
“Shipping is passing through a difficult stage. Because though there is a demand for growth, unfortunately the supply growth is outpacing the demand growth. That is why there is supply side pressure,” he said.
He said the supply side pressure will continue to the middle of 2012.
“The year 2007 was the historic high for ship ordering and there was about four years lag in ship orders or ship delivery. Then 2009 was a historic low for ship ordering. Supply pressure will come down to middle of 2012. So equilibrium in demand and supply will take place in the middle of 2012 which will go in favour of the shipping industry,” he said.
Informing that crude oil price increase will have an impact on the shipping industry, he said there has been a substantial rise in the input cost for shipping.
“It is impacting margins,” he added.
- Shipping Corp going slow on new vessel orders - Nov 15, 2011
- Shipping Corporation to get 30 more vessels by 2015 - Jun 26, 2010
- China's non-manufacturing sector slows in April (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Brand Hyderabad takes a beating due to Telangana turmoil - Oct 02, 2011
- Cochin Shipyard delivers its 17th platform supply vessel - Jun 18, 2010
- Latin America - Energising India (Comment) - Jun 21, 2012
- Shipping Corporation expects to file DRHP this quarter - Oct 06, 2010
- Asian defence market growth offset by slump in West: Deloitte - Mar 07, 2012
- Bajaj Auto's April sales up four percent - May 02, 2012
- Tractor major to invest Rs.160 crore in expansion - Apr 03, 2012
- Weak demand dampens business confidence: FICCI - Sep 02, 2012
- Employees likely to get 12 percent salary hike in 2012 - Feb 21, 2012
- Loans set to pinch more as central bank hikes interest rates (Roundup) - Jul 26, 2011
- Government confident of meeting 20 percent export growth target - Jul 26, 2012
- Realty business hots up in Bengal - Jun 03, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,