Schwarzenegger proposes tax hikes for CaliforniaNovember 7th, 2008 - 5:39 am ICT by IANS
Sacramento, Nov 7 (DPA) California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger Thursday proposed several stringent measures to curb spending and increase taxes in order to deal with a budget shortfall, this office said.The proposals include a steep increase in state sales tax, a five cent tax on every alcoholic drink sold and an estimated $4.5 billion in welfare and other budget cuts.
The moves are meant to close a projected budget shortfall of $24 billion by the middle of 2010.
Schwarzenegger’s Republican colleagues in the legislature fiercely opposed previous attempts to raise taxes, forcing a record delay in passing the state budget last month.
The sales tax hike of 1.5 cents per dollar will raise statewide sales tax 7.25 per cent and could bring in more than 10 billion dollars by fiscal 2009-2010.
Schwarzenegger also proposed extending the sales tax to new categories such as vehicle repair, veterinarian services, amusement parks and sporting events. Plus a separate 9.9 percent tax on the extraction of oil in California and a $12 increase in annual vehicle registration fees.
The governor called for $2.5 billion in cuts from schools and community colleges and for lowering health and welfare subsidies to the aged, blind and disabled.
The governor said “drastic measures” were needed because the state has lost so much money in tax revenue since the legislature passed the state budget in September.
“In the six weeks since I signed our last budget, the mortgage crisis has deepened, unemployment has increased and the stock market has lost almost 20 percent of its value,” Schwarzenegger said after opening an emergency session of the legislature to deal with the budget shortfall.
“We are living in a different world now,” the governor said.
- Schwarzenegger declares fiscal emergency in California - Jul 02, 2009
- Governor Schwarzenegger appeals to save 'California dream' - Jun 03, 2009
- California Legislator Proposes Turning Neverland Ranch Into State Park - Jul 15, 2010
- California Governor Schwarzenegger orders mass layoffs - Feb 18, 2009
- Schwarzenegger inks budget, ends California cash crisis - Jul 29, 2009
- California Governor scraps plan for 'Cadillac death row' - May 02, 2011
- Obama presents budget plan - Feb 14, 2012
- States cutting cigarette taxes - Mar 19, 2011
- Pakistan economy collapsing - Jan 31, 2011
- Ajit Pawar presents marginally surplus Maharashtra budget - Mar 26, 2012
- Arnie in favour of legalising cannabis sale in California to raise revenue - May 06, 2009
- Pennsylvania Governor Rendell calls on budget approval for education and economic development programs - Apr 06, 2010
- Pakistan collects one trillion rupees as taxes in nine months - Apr 02, 2011
- Gehlot presents populist budget with eye to coming polls - Mar 26, 2012
- California approves $200 mn education stimulus funds - Sep 18, 2010
Tags: budget shortfall, california governor arnold, california governor arnold schwarzenegger, governor arnold schwarzenegger, living in a different world, republican colleagues, statewide sales tax, stringent measures, vehicle registration fees, veterinarian services