Schlumberger, ONGC to look for shale gas in Bengal, northeastJune 21st, 2011 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 21 (IANS) Schlumberger, the world’s leading supplier of technology to oil and gas firms, and state-run Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) are jointly looking at opportunities of exploring for shale gas in West Bengal and northeast India, a US diplomat said Tuesday.
“Schlumberger and the ONGC are jointly looking for opportunities of research and exploration of shale gas in West Bengal and the northeast,” US Consul General in Kolkata Beth A. Payne said at a programme organised by the Merchants’ Chamber of Commerce (MCC) here.
“The project is in very early stage. It is in the stage of research and development now. It will take time,” she said.
Stating that the US has expertise in exploring shale gas, she said American technology will help West Bengal in exploring for the gas.
“We are looking at the northeast to invest in oil production and exploration of shale gas. American technology can also help Indian companies for safe and efficient coal mining,” she said.
On US investment in West Bengal after the change in the regime, Payne said: “I met with the chief minister (Mamata Banerjee) and the finance minister (Amit Mitra) to explore what are the opportunities. We are very keen to hear from the government about its priorities.”
She said the US wanted more openness in agriculture in West Bengal.
“West Bengal needs cold storages… we have expertise in cold storage chains,” she added.
- Confident of strengthened trade ties with Bengal: US official - Jun 17, 2011
- Shale gas extraction is fraught with problems - Nov 21, 2010
- India, US to sign shale gas deal during Obama visit - Oct 27, 2010
- India to formulate policy to tap shale gas - Mar 11, 2011
- Mamata a role model for women, says US diplomat - Jun 15, 2011
- Murli Deora expects India and US collaborate in shale gas exploration - Oct 18, 2010
- ONGC to start drilling in Bihar from August - Jul 21, 2012
- RIL to buy 60 percent stake in US shale firm for $392 mn - Aug 05, 2010
- ONGC-led consortium to invest $3 billion in Venezuela - Jul 11, 2012
- India, Russia to increase hydrocarbon cooperation - Dec 21, 2010
- China to promote shale gas - Feb 13, 2012
- India seeks shale gas supplies from US - May 16, 2012
- India eyeing upon Canadian sand gas, shale gas technology: Murli Deora - Nov 03, 2010
- US institute looks for Indian partners for energy storage - Dec 16, 2011
- Gas policy reforms will incentivise production, draw investors: PM - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: american technology, amit, banerjee, chief minister, coal mining, cold storage, consul general, diplomat, finance minister, kolkata, mcc, natural gas corporation, northeast india, oil and gas, oil production, openness, schlumberger, shale gas, us consul, west bengal