Scheme for distressed farmers extended by two yearsOctober 8th, 2008 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 8 (IANS) The cabinet Wednesday decided to continue with a monetary help scheme worth around Rs.170 billion for distressed farmers in suicide-prone areas of four states in the country.The scheme for farmers in 31 districts of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and Maharashtra will be extended till Sep 30, 2011, Finance Minister P. Chidambaram told reproters after the cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The cabinet also decided to modify the scheme partly to enhance its effectiveness, said Chidamabram.
The monetary assistance scheme was launched by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government in September 2006 for three years in the wake of reports that farmers of Vidarbha region in Maharashtra, distressed by the widespread crop failure and caught in the debt trap of private money lenders, were resorting to suicide in large numbers.
Manmohan Singh visited Vidarbha July 1, 2006 and announced a rehabilitation package to mitigate the distress of farmers in select areas.
The cabinet had approved the rehabilitation package worth Rs.170 billion on Sep 29, 2006.
- Financial help for 10 mn farmers in four states - Oct 20, 2008
- 3 more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - May 22, 2012
- Treat farmer suicides as murders, demands Vidarbha outfit - Dec 29, 2010
- Four more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 08, 2012
- Vidharba farmers protest Chavan's 'peanuts' bailout package - Dec 15, 2011
- New portfolio, farm suicides not linked: Deshmukh (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Maharashtra over farm suicides (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Tractors seized, power cut off, say Vidharbha farmers - Nov 20, 2010
- Debt drives three more Vidarbha farmers to suicide (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Three Vidarbha farmers end life - Apr 20, 2012
- Dowry system fuelling farmers' suicides in Vidarbha - May 20, 2012
- Farmers threaten to 'donate' govt aid to Maoists! - Dec 18, 2011
- As Rahul spoke, farmer suicides continued in Vidarbha - Sep 08, 2010
- Vidarbha wants Rs.30,000 crore from Mukherjee's budget kitty - Feb 24, 2010
- My new portfolio not connected to farm suicides: Vilasrao - Jan 20, 2011