SC allows Kanchi Shankaracharya’’s plea for a public prosecutor from PuducherryJuly 22nd, 2008 - 3:45 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , July 22 (ANI): The Supreme Court today allowed Kanchi Shankaracharya Jayendra Saraswatis plea for appointing a public prosecutor from Puducherry to hold trial against him in the Sankararaman murder case.
The Court had on April 10 reserved the judgement on the issue in which Saraswati had contended that since the trial in the case was transferred to Puducherry, the Tamil Nadu Government has no authority to appoint its public prosecutor.
Saraswati had challenged the appointment of a public prosecutor from Tamil Nadu for holding trial in the case, which was shifted to Puducherry on the direction of the Apex court.
Saraswati had contended that since the trial in the case was transferred to Puducherry, the Tamil Nadu Government has no authority to appoint its public prosecutor.
Tamil Nadu Government had maintained that Section 24 CrPC provides exclusive right to a State for appointing its own public prosecutor and hence the pontiff’’s plea should not be entertained.
The Shankaracharya was arrested on November 14, 2004 by the Tamil Nadu police in Andhra Pradesh’’s Mahaboobnagar District in connection with the murder of A Sankararaman, manager of the Sri Vardaraja Perumal Temple , Kancheepuram on September 3, 2004.
Following a petition filed by the pontiff, the Supreme Court on October 26, 2005 shifted the trial against the seer from the Principal Sessions Court , Chengalpattu in Tamil Nadu to the District and Sessions Court, Puducherry.
The apex court on May 2, 2006 had also stayed the trial before the session court, Puducherry after the seer opposed Tamil Nadu Government’’s move to appoint its own public prosecutor for the trial. (ANI)
- Seer's plea for prosecutor from Puducherry accepted - Jul 22, 2008
- Madras High Court stays trial in Sankararaman murder case - Aug 25, 2011
- Kanchi Sankaracharya denies deal with judge - Aug 26, 2011
- Shankarraman Murder Case: Five more witnesses turn hostile - Apr 22, 2010
- Sankararaman murder case hearing today - Oct 24, 2008
- Sankararaman murder: Court tells police to verify tape - Feb 27, 2012
- Sankararaman murder case hearing today - Dec 18, 2008
- Sankararaman murder case hearing adjourned - Nov 21, 2008
- Pondicherry court to hear Sankaraman murder case today - Dec 30, 2008
- Sankararaman murder case hearing adjourned - Sep 24, 2008
- Sankararaman murder case hearing adjourned - Aug 22, 2008
- Sankararaman murder: Hearing adjourned till June 11 - Apr 28, 2009
- Sankararaman murder case hearing today - Sep 24, 2008
- Sankararaman murder case hearing today - Aug 22, 2008
- Fresh prosecutor appointed in Shankaracharyas' case - Sep 24, 2008
Tags: andhra pradesh, apex, apex court, crpc, judgement, kancheepuram, murder case, november 14, october 26, perumal temple, plea, pontiff, public prosecutor, puducherry, sankararaman murder, section 24, seer, sessions court, tamil nadu government, tamil nadu police