SBI net profit up 35.5 percent in 2008-09 (Lead, Changing dateline)May 9th, 2009 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 9 (IANS) State Bank of India (SBI), the country’s largest lender, has posted a net profit of Rs.9,121 crore for 2008-09 as against Rs.6,729 crore the year before, a rise of 35.5 percent.
“Net profit for the fourth quarter (January-March) of 2008-09 increased 45.62 percent to Rs.2,742 crore from Rs.1,883 crore in the corresponding quarter of 2007-08,” SBI chairman O.P. Bhatt told reporters here.
The net non-performing asset (NPA) ratio for 2008-09 stood at 1.76 percent, compared to 1.78 percent in 2007-08. The total amount restructured during the year was Rs.8,310 crore.
The capital adequacy ratio of the bank is above 14 percent, he said.
The net interest margin (NIM) was at 2.93 percent as on March 31, 2009, compared to 3.07 percent in March 2008.
SBI’s total income for the fiscal rose 33 percent to Rs.76,479.2 crore from the previous year’s Rs.57,645.2 crore.
Consolidated net profit was at Rs.10,955.2 crore, a 22 percent increase from Rs.8,960.6 crore in 2007-08.
The group’s consolidated net income crossed the trillion rupee mark to Rs.113,093 crore (Rs.1.1 trillion) in 2008-09, 25 percent up from the previous fiscal’s Rs.90,218.8 crore.
Asked about the impact of the economic downturn, Bhatt said: “The worst is over for the economy. Auto and housing loans have started picking up already.”
On the overseas operations of the bank, he said SBI would concentrate on “consolidating the existing business network”. The bank is already present in 33 countries.
SBI has plans to increase its Singapore operations from the present five branches to 12 this year and to 20 next fiscal.
Asked about its plans of starting general insurance business, Bhatt said: “We hope to start it anytime within this calendar year or latest by this fiscal end. We are yet to receive some final approvals.”
- State Bank of India net profit up 45.62 percent - May 09, 2009
- Worst is over for Indian economy: SBI chief (Second Lead) - May 09, 2009
- SBI's third quarter net profit up 15.38 percent - Feb 13, 2012
- ONGC fourth quarter net up 71 percent - May 28, 2010
- Tube Investments of India net down Rs.11.59 crore - Aug 06, 2012
- State Bank of Mysore net up 32 percent in fiscal 2010 - Apr 21, 2010
- SBI net profit jumps 25 percent, scrip at all time high - Aug 12, 2010
- South Indian Bank net profit up by 20 percent - Apr 30, 2010
- HDFC Bank Q4 profit up 30 percent - Apr 18, 2012
- Allahabad Bank posts net profit of Rs.224.50 crore in Q4 - Apr 30, 2010
- NRI deposits in State Bank of Travancore up - Apr 30, 2011
- Mahindra net down 22.2 percent - May 28, 2009
- SBI annual net profit surges nearly 42 percent (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- NIIT annual net profit up 44.1 percent - May 27, 2009
- Oriental Bank of Commerce Q4 net rises 75 percent - Apr 29, 2010
Tags: bank of india, capital adequacy ratio, crore, economic downturn, economy auto, general insurance, housing loans, insurance business, interest margin, kolkata, net interest, net profit, overseas operations, p bhatt, rs 1, rs 2, rs 6, rs 90, state bank, state bank of india