SBI may review rates by May-endMay 8th, 2009 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 8 (IANS) State Bank of India (SBI), the country’s largest lender, may review rates by May-end as it has seen a steady rise in deposits last fiscal, a top official said here Friday.
“Our deposits are growing at fantastic rates; we see an excess of supply over demand,” SBI chairman O.P. Bhatt told reporters on the sidelines of the inauguration of the bank’s inward remittance division.
“We will see if further tweaking of deposit rates is required,” he said, adding that in 2008-09 the bank increased its market share of deposits phenomenally.
“Our increase in the market share of deposits last year was the highest seen by any bank anywhere and we are currently getting $200 million a day,” Bhatt said.
Asked if the bank was planning to cut its prime lending rate (PLR), he said SBI’s lending rates were the “lowest in the industry”.
“Tell me which segment of loan offered by SBI is not cheaper than the industry levels?” he asked.
However, Bhatt expects interest rates to fall further.
“In general, there seems to be a softening of interest rates on deposit and advance sides,” Bhatt said.
Talking about the credit demand, Bhatt said the prevailing sentiment was resisting credit offtake.
“I am today giving the cheapest home loan at 8 percent but still people are not coming forward as they expect interest rates to fall further,” he said.
- SBI hikes lending rates, EMIs to rise - Jul 07, 2011
- No impact of rupee slide on banks: SBI chief - May 28, 2012
- Lending rates will move up, though not immediately - Jul 27, 2010
- RBI tightens norms for home loans, rates may go up - Nov 02, 2010
- SBI mulls reduced interest rates for small, medium enterprises - May 29, 2012
- State Bank of India hikes deposit rates up to 150 basis points - Dec 06, 2010
- SBI, Allahabad Bank cut interest rates - Apr 23, 2012
- ICICI Bank hikes lending, deposit rates - Dec 04, 2010
- State Bank of India sets base rate for lending at 7.5 percent per annum - Jun 30, 2010
- India's central bank hikes rates again to fix inflation (Roundup) - Nov 02, 2010
- Banks lower interest rates taking cues from RBI policy - Apr 19, 2012
- Interest rates to go down but not immediately, say top banks - Apr 17, 2012
- SBI cuts interest rates on term deposits - Aug 02, 2012
- SBI lowers deposit rates by 0.25 percent - Jun 07, 2012
- Moody's downgrades Indian banks, stocks tumble - Nov 09, 2011
Tags: bank of india, credit offtake, home loan, inauguration, interest rates, market share, p bhatt, prime lending rate, sbi, sentiment, sidelines, state bank, state bank of india, tweaking, which segment