SBI flayed for shifting branch control to JammuApril 19th, 2012 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 19 (IANS) The State Bank of India’s (SBI) decision to shift the administrative control of all its branches in south Kashmir districts to Jammu attracted a lot of flak Thursday from the bank’s customers and the general public here.
In a statement issued to the media, the customers of the bank in south Kashmir districts of Anantnag, Shopian, Pulwama and Kulgam alleged that the decision of the SBI authorities to create a separate regional office for these branches in the state’s winter capital would cause hardships to the public.
In a recent decision, the country’s premier bank has decided to create a separate regional office for the administrative control of the bank’s branches in the Ladakh region and districts of Shopian, Pulwama, Anantnag in the Valley and Doda district of the Jammu region.
“Instead of establishing the proposed regional office in Srinagar, the bank has decided to establish the regional office at Jammu.
“While most of the branches coming under the administrative control of the proposed office exist in the Valley,” the statement said.
Many customers, especially fruit growers and businessmen customers of the SBI in south Kashmir have expressed fears that their credit proposals would now be delayed inordinately as the sanctioning office would operate from outside the Kashmir Valley.
The main administrative offices of the SBI together and all other nationalised banks were shifted out of the Valley with the beginning of the separatist armed campaign here in 1990s.
Despite the return of normalcy in the Valley, most of the senior level administrative offices of the SBI and other nationalised banks including the country’s central Bank, the Reserve Bank of India are still to be shifted back to the Valley.
- Four attacks injure four in Kashmir - Oct 25, 2011
- Separatist shutdown hits life in Kashmir Valley (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Gurrillas shoot dead two policemen in Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- Separatist shutdown mars life in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Police refutes Kashmir daily's report on 504 civilians, over 4000 security personnel injured - Sep 24, 2010
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Curfew continues in Kashmir Valley - Sep 15, 2010
- Separatists shutdown affects life in Kashmir - Feb 07, 2012
- Baramulla: Army stages flag march to defuse tension - Jun 30, 2010
- Guerrillas shoot dead Kashmir policeman, injure another (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Fourth day of indefinite curfew in Kashmir, toll 90 - Sep 16, 2010
- Shutdown call by traders affects life in Srinagar (With Image) - Jan 06, 2012
- Peaceful Eid prayers held across Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
- Masked robbers loot over Rs.5 lakh in Kashmir - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: administrative control, administrative offices, bank of india, credit proposals, flak, fruit growers, jammu region, kashmir, kashmir valley, ladakh region, nationalised banks, normalcy, premier bank, regional office, reserve bank of india, s central, south kashmir, state bank, state bank of india, winter capital