SBI eyes more branches in BangladeshNovember 14th, 2011 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 13 (IANS) The country’s largest public sector bank, State Bank of India (SBI) is going to expand its network of branches in Bangladesh, despite a recent downgrading of its credit rating by Moody’s, an official said Sunday.
The bank said it was planning to open two more branches in Bangladesh by December 2012 after opening two new branches at Rajshahi and Khulna recently.
Moody’s recently downgraded its rating of SBI’s financial strength by one notch to ‘D+’ on account of the lender’s low Tier-I capital ratio and deteriorating asset quality.
“We have recently got two licences and have opened two branches at Rajshahi and Khulna, expanding from the two earlier branches - Dhaka and Chittagong,” SBI chairman Pratip Chaudhuri said on the sidelines of a conference organised by Assocham here.
“The Bangladesh government assured us that the moment we roll them out (two branches at Rajshahi and Khulna) and once they stabilise, two more licences will be given. We are expecting all together six branches in Bangladesh in one year’s time, that is, by December 2012,” he said.
The bank has planned to open the two branches at Narayangunj and Chittagong.
SBI is eyeing to capture the home loan retail market and wholesale market in Bangladesh in the absence of lesser availability of long-term finances in the country.
Informing that the SBI’s exposure in Bangladesh was about Rs.1,350 crore, Chaudhuri said: “New homes are coming up (in Bangladesh). We will do retail and wholesale home loan business. It has a huge potential in terms of reach. Bangladesh home loan market is a huge potential.”
- SBI to approach Moody's for review and re-rating - May 18, 2012
- SBI slumps 4 percent on ratings downgrade - Oct 05, 2011
- SBI expects another Rs.40 billion capital infusion - Aug 23, 2012
- SBI will accelerate foreign expansion: New chief - Apr 08, 2011
- SBI mulls reduced interest rates for small, medium enterprises - May 29, 2012
- One dead in Bangladesh clash - Jan 30, 2012
- Moody's downgrades Indian banks, stocks tumble - Nov 09, 2011
- SBI expects Rs.30-40 bn capital infusion soon - Dec 10, 2011
- Two French banks downgraded by Moody's - Sep 14, 2011
- SBI plans $1 bn debt bond issue - May 28, 2012
- SBI appoints new chief financial officer - Apr 15, 2011
- Moody's downgrades Italy debt rating - Jul 13, 2012
- Rate cuts unlikely as RBI reviews policy this week - Jan 22, 2012
- Interest rates to go down but not immediately, say top banks - Apr 17, 2012
- SBI annual net profit surges nearly 42 percent (Lead) - May 18, 2012
Tags: asset quality, bangladesh government, bank of india, capital ratio, chaudhuri, chittagong, credit rating, dhaka, financial strength, home loan business, home loan market, kolkata, public sector bank, rajshahi, retail market, rs 1, sidelines, state bank, state bank of india, wholesale market