Sbarro pizza chain planning to file for bankruptcyApril 1st, 2011 - 8:13 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, April 1 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Reports on the Internet indicate that Sbarro Inc. is considering filing for bankruptcy. A source cited in the reports say the company missed interest payments on its debt and that has prompted the company to consider bankruptcy protection.
MidOcean Partners acquired Sbarro Inc. in 2007. When the MidOcean acquired the pizza chain, it drew up a plan to restructure the company’s debt. The reports indicate the filing of the bankruptcy protection may come as early as next week.
Wall Street Journal first broke the possibility of Sbarro filing for bankruptcy. Sbarro defaulted on the payment of interest on its debt in February. The company’s third forbearance agreement expires today – 1st of April 2011. Bloomberg reports that Sbarro has about $350 million in bonds and loans. Sbarro was formerly owned by the Sbarro family.
After the company was opened by the Sbarro family about more than half a century ago as a single eatery unit, the company has grown to more than 1,000 fast food joints throughout the United States. The first Sbarro eatery was opened in Brooklyn, New York, according to the information provided on the website of Sbarro.
- National Enquirer Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy - Nov 18, 2010
- Publisher Of 'National Enquirer' Goes To Court For Bankruptcy Protection - Nov 18, 2010
- National Enquirer: Publisher files for bankruptcy - Nov 18, 2010
- NYC Housewife Sonja Morgan blames John Travolta for her growing debt - Nov 18, 2010
- Blockbuster Movies Files for Bankruptcy as Online Rental Grows - Sep 23, 2010
- Japanese chipmaker files for bankruptcy - Feb 27, 2012
- Ex-Oz tennis star Philippoussis served with bankruptcy notice - Nov 23, 2010
- MF Global CEO resigns, declines severance package - Nov 04, 2011
- Harrisburg Pa. files for bankruptcy - Oct 12, 2011
- National Enquirer Publisher Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy - Nov 18, 2010
- Chinese firm offers to buy US plane maker - Jul 11, 2012
- Financial world needs more transparency: Vikram Pandit - Nov 08, 2011
- 24,000 Italian government employees to lose jobs - Jul 11, 2012
- Longoria's Vegas restaurant goes bankrupt - Jan 08, 2011
- Air India to pay defaulted interest payment in a week - May 21, 2011
Tags: april 1, bankruptcy protection, bloomberg reports, bonds, brooklyn, brooklyn new york, fast food, filing for bankruptcy, food joints, forbearance agreement, half a century, interest payments, loans, news reports, pizza chain, sbarro inc, sbarro pizza, wall street, wall street journal