Satyam case: no bail for Raju, seven othersAugust 30th, 2011 - 5:49 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 30 (IANS) The Andhra Pradesh High Court Tuesday dismissed the bail pleas of former chairman of Satyam Computers B. Ramalinga Raju and seven other accused in India’s biggest corporate fraud case.
Justice Samudrala Govindarajulu, who had reserved orders on Aug 27, rejected all the bail petitions.
B. Ramalinga Raju, his brother and managing director of the company Rama Raju, chief financial officer Srinivas Vadlamani, Satyam’s former internal chief auditor V.S. Prabhakar Gupta, former PwC auditor S. Gopalakrishnan and company employees Ch. Srisailam, G. Ramakrishna and B. Venkatapati Raju had moved the high court after their petitions were dismissed by the trial court on Aug 4.
All the eight accused in the multi-crore scam are currently lodged in the Chanchalguda Central Jail in Hyderabad. Two others accused in the case were earlier granted bail.
Raju and seven others sought the bail on the ground that the trial was not completed before July 31 as stipulated by the Supreme Court. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), however, opposed the bail pleas saying if the accused were released on bail there was every possibility that they might try to influence witnesses.
The CBI also submitted that it has filed a petition before the Supreme Court seeking extension of time to complete the trial in the case.
While cancelling the bail granted by the high court to Raju and others, the apex court in October last year had ruled that that they were free to approach the trial court for bail if the trial was not completed before July 31.
Raju had shocked corporate India in January 2009 by confessing to an accounting scam worth over Rs.7,000 crore.
Police had booked 10 people, including Raju. Another brother B. Suryanarayana Raju, who is neither a director nor an employee of the IT firm, had secured anticipatory bail. PwC auditor Talluri Srinivas had also been released on bail by the Supreme Court.
- Raju, others denied bail in Satyam scam - Aug 04, 2011
- Satyam's Ramalinga Raju, two others get bail - Nov 04, 2011
- Satyam Ramalinga Raju released on bail - Nov 05, 2011
- Satyam case: Supreme Court grants bail to five - Oct 13, 2011
- Five accused in Satyam scam get bail (Lead) - Jul 20, 2010
- Satyam case: Apex court notice to CBI on Raju's bail plea (Second Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- Satyam scam: Court dismisses discharge plea of nine accused - Oct 25, 2010
- Apex court cancels bail of Satyam's Raju, five others (Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Satyam scam accused allowed to use computer in jail - Jun 25, 2010
- Supreme Court cancels bail of Raju, five others (Second Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Court reserves verdict on Raju's bail plea - Aug 16, 2010
- Satyam officials issued notices as CBI drags case - Sep 19, 2011
- CBI plea against Ramalinga Raju's bail to be heard Monday - Aug 29, 2010
- Satyam scam: Ramalinga Raju surrenders before trial court - Nov 10, 2010
- Auditor involved in Satyam scam denied bail - Apr 19, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh high court, apex court, b ramalinga raju, bail pleas, cbi, central bureau of investigation, central jail, chief auditor, chief financial officer, corporate fraud, corporate india, fraud case, gopalakrishnan, gupta, prabhakar, rama raju, ramakrishna, satyam computers, suryanarayana, trial court