Satluj Jal Vidyut gets hydroelectric projects in BhutanSeptember 29th, 2008 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 29 (IANS) The government-run hydroelectric major Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam (SJVN), which operates the 1,500 MW Nathpa Jhakri hydropower project in Himachal Pradesh, will set up two power projects in Bhutan, the company’s top official said here Monday.Under an agreement signed between SJVN and the central government last week in Delhi, the projects in the neighbouring country - 900 MW Wangchu and 486 MW Kholangchu - would be executed by the company there.
“The government of India last week told us (the SJVN) to execute two hydroelectric projects, one at Wangchu and another at Kholangchu, in Bhutan,” H.K. Sharma, SJVN chairman and managing director, told IANS.
SJVN has already entered into an agreement with the Nepal government for the implementation of the 402 MW Arun III power project there.
“A team of experts from Bhutan had visited the Nathpa-Jhakri project site and wanted similar projects in their country, which has the same Himalayan geology,” said Sharma.
The Nathpa Jhakri project, which is SJVN’s maiden project in Himachal’s Kinnaur district, commenced commercial generation from its six units of 250 MW each in September 2003.
Presently, SJVN is executing the Luhri hydel (755 MW) and Rampur (412 MW) projects in Shimla district and the Khab project (1,020 MW) in Kinnaur .
In Uttrakhand, three projects - the Devsari project in Chamoli district and the Nitwar Mori and the Jakhol Sankri projects in Uttarkashi district - are under execution.
“SJVN is the first company in the country to get World Bank funding, our Rampur project was granted $400 million,” he said.
- Rising silt keeps Himachal hydropower plants shut - Aug 21, 2012
- Himachal's hydropower plants shut, power shortage in north (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Second SJVNL hydro project to be commissioned by 2013 - Feb 08, 2011
- Record generation by Himachal hydropower unit - Jun 05, 2010
- SJVNL declares Rs.388.84 crore dividend - Sep 04, 2012
- SJVNL's net sales up by seven percent - Jul 30, 2010
- Hydropower major forays into wind power - Feb 09, 2012
- SJVNL achieves record power generation - Oct 09, 2011
- Nod for 66 MW hydropower project in Himachal - Feb 11, 2011
- Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam eyes Georgia, Bhutan - Jun 24, 2008
- SJVNL declares Rs.333.9 crore dividend - Sep 13, 2011
- Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam to set up power project in Nepal, eyes Georgia, Bhutan (Lead) - Jun 24, 2008
- SJVNL's second plant to start power generation in December - Jul 25, 2012
- Record hydropower generation by Himachal plant - Apr 02, 2011
- Clamour against hydropower grows louder in Himachal - Jun 30, 2011