Sarabjits family produces Pakistani F.I.R highlighting mistaken identityMarch 18th, 2008 - 4:12 pm ICT by admin
Bhikhiwind (Punjab), March 18 (ANI)): The family of Sarabjit Singh, the Indian convicted for his involvement in three bomb blasts and killing of 14 Pakistanis, has produced a copy of the First Information Report of Lahore Police Station lodged in 1990 that bespeaks the mistaken identity in the case.
The four different FIRs, registered in separate police stations of Lahore, mention Manjit Singh, the son of Mehnga Singh of Bhikhiwind (Punjab) as involved in bomb blasts and killing of Pakistani nationals in Lahore and Multan. Whereas Sarabjit
Singh, the convicted Indian is the son of Sulakkhan Singh, a resident of Bhikhiwind (Punjab).
A copy of the four F.I.Rs registered against Manjit Singh is in possession of the Asian News International reads: F.I.R No.226845 dated 28.7.1990 under section 427, 307, Namaziabad police station (Lahore), F.I.R No.23 dated 03.04.1990 under section 302, 307, Lahori Gate (Lahore), F.IR. No. 10539 dated 30.8.1990 under section 302, 307 in Lahore, F.I.R No.0128646 under section 308, 307 dated 1.5.1990 in Lahore.
Sarabjits family was unable to read these copies of F.I.R written in Urdu and which were in the possession of his lawyer Rana Abdul Hamid of Lahore.
Disappointed by the recent reports from Pakistan about the announcement of death sentence for Sarabjit Singh on April 1, his family in Punjab has reiterated that it is sheer mistaken identity as is evident from the F.I.R complaint originally filed in the case.
Time and again the family has appealing that the convicted man, languishing in Pakistani jails for 18 years, is Sarbjit Singh, not Manjit Singh.
We have already sent all the documents to the Pakistani court through our advocate which establishes the original identity of my husband Sarbjit Singh. We are urging the Government of India to help us get him back home, as he has been booked under false charges, said Sukhpreet Kaur, Sarabjits wife.
Sarabjit had strayed into the Pakistan territory in an inebriated condition and the Pakistan security personnel arrested him.
Sarabjits both daughters are disappointed that their father is being pushed to the gallows for an act he never committed.
“We have been repeatedly urging to both the governments in India and Pakistan that my father (Sarabjit Singh) is a victim of mistaken identity. He is paying the cost of a crime he has not committed,” said Swapendeep Kaur, the eldest daughter of Sarbjit Singh.
We have received the copies of the FIR lodged in the Lahore police station, filed against Manjit Singh of Bhikhiwind. The Pakistan police have arrested my father Sarbjit Singh mistaking him for Manjit Singh, she added.
On March 3, the President Pervez Musharraf turned down the mercy petition of Sarbjit Singh, two years after the Supreme Court of Pakistan had rejected Sarbjit Singh’s plea for clemency in the same month in 2006. (ANI)
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Punjab assembly resolution seeks Sarabjit's release - Jun 29, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- Is arrested conman behind Pakistan blasts blamed on Sarabjit? - Dec 17, 2010
Tags: april 1, asian news, bomb blasts, case time, death sentence, false charges, firs, government of india, hamid, information report, jails, mistaken identity, multan, news international, pakistani nationals, pakistanis, police station, police stations, punjab, urdu