Sarabjit s family knocks doors of UN, Amnesty InternationalMarch 21st, 2008 - 6:51 pm ICT by admin
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Amritsar, Mar.21 (ANI): The family of Sarabjit Singh, the Indian detenu to be hanged in Pakistan on April 30 this year, has approached the United Nations and human rights watchdog Amnesty International to save him from the gallows.
According to informed sources, the family is also all set to leave for Pakistan to personally urge that country’s government to grant clemency to Sarabjit, who has already spent over 17 years in jail and on death row.
Talking to ANI, Sarabjit’s elder daughter, Swapandeep Kaur, said the family had submitted a memorandum to U.N.Secretary General Ban ki-Moon and Amnesty International, and had urged them to exert pressure on Islamabad to withdraw the death penalty awarded to Singh.
Swapandeep today visited the Golden Temple here to pay obeisance and prayers for her fathers safe return to India.
She said that she would be visiting all shrines and perform payers for the early release of her father and his reunion with his family. (ANI)
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Raza Murad to launch 'Sarabjit Bachao Adolan' - Jan 01, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Signature campaign to save Sarabjit from gallows - Jul 25, 2009
- Sarabjit's village protests Pakistan's apex court judgement - Jun 25, 2009
- Salman starts 'free Sarabjit Singh' campaign online - Jul 01, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: 17 years, amnesty international, amritsar, ban ki moon, clemency, death penalty, death row, elder daughter, gallows, golden temple, human rights watchdog, islamabad, kaur, memorandum, obeisance, ravinder singh, return to india, safe return, secretary general, shrines