Samana set to become Gujarat’s wind power hubJuly 10th, 2008 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, July 10 (IANS) A Chinese firm and the Tata group are investing Rs.8.15 billion ($189.5 million) to generate together over 150 megawatt of wind power in Gujarat’s Rajkot district. The two power projects are to be set up in Samana, in the Rajkot district, making it a major centre for wind-generated power.
CLP, through its India subsidiary CLP India, is investing close to Rs.5 billion for installing 126 wind turbines in Samana that will generate 100.8 megawatt of power.
Tata Power has installed wind turbines in the same area for generating 50 megawatt of power at a cost of Rs.3.15 billion.
Both projects are expected to become operational by early next year, according to officials at the Gujarat Energy Development Agency (GEDA).
The state government, which is banking heavily on wind power, has identified Samana as an ideal location for installing 450 turbines that can generate a total of 360 megawatt.
To encourage investment in wind energy developments in the state, the government has introduced a raft of incentives including a higher wind energy tariff.
Sources confirmed that both CLP and Tata Power projects would be located in Samana, which is a large area and could accommodate more than one project.
Samana has a high-tension transmission grid and electricity generated by wind turbines can be fed into it. For this purpose, a substation at Sadodar has been installed, the GEDA officials said.
Enercon India Ltd, an Indian-German joint venture for setting up wind power generation facilities, will execute both projects.
CLP and Tata Power are also setting up wind power projects in Karnataka. While the the Chinese company will have its project at Saundatti, the Tata Power project will come up at Gadag, about 80 kilometres from Hubli.
- Gujarat's Samana set to become wind power hub - Jul 10, 2008
- Suzlon Energy bags 50.4 megawatt order - Apr 20, 2011
- Suzlon's German unit wins 295 MW offshore contract - Nov 26, 2010
- Mexico's wind energy sector experiencing rapid growth - Feb 09, 2012
- Suzlon Energy bags 48.3 MW project from Indian Oil - Aug 17, 2011
- Energy sector deals worth Rs.7.38 lakh crore at Gujarat summit - Jan 13, 2011
- Gujarat Paguthan seeks IFC loan for wind power project - Jul 24, 2008
- Wind to account for 15 percent of Mexico's electricity mix - Feb 16, 2012
- Suzlon crosses 5,000 MW of wind power installations in India - Sep 24, 2010
- BGR Energy cuts capex for JVs with Hitachi - Aug 09, 2012
- China to build large offshore wind farm - Jan 14, 2012
- NALCO to set up wind power project in Andhra - Jun 02, 2011
- Suzlon signs wind power deal worth $1.28 bn - Jan 28, 2011
- Wind alone can meet China's electricity demands projected for 2030 - Sep 11, 2009
- Siemens to invest Rs.400 crore on wind turbines in India - Nov 30, 2010
Tags: chinese company, chinese firm, clp, enercon india, energy development, gadag, gujarat, high tension, india ltd, megawatt, power generation facilities, rajkot district, tata group, tata power, transmission grid, wind energy developments, wind generated power, wind power generation, wind power projects, wind turbines