Sajjan Jindal plans deep seaport in OrissaJuly 25th, 2008 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 25 (IANS) The Jindal South West (JSW) group is planning to invest Rs.15-20 billion to set up a deep seaport in Orissa, a top company official said here Friday. “We plan to invest Rs.15-20 billion to set up a deep seaport in Orissa, which will cater to our upcoming steel plant at Salboni [in West Bengal],” JSW Steel vice chairman and managing director Sajjan Jindal told reporters on the sidelines of a meet organised by Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham).
The port, to be constructed by JSW group company JSW Infrastructure and Logistics Ltd, will be located at the mouth of river Subernarekha in Orissa’s Bhadrak district.
JSW Steel would start construction of its Salboni project this November, Jindal said.
The plant, expected to be completed by 2011-12, would have an initial capacity of three million tonnes a year. This would be later enhanced to 10 million tonnes.
The plant would also have a 300 megawatt power unit.
“In the first phase we are investing Rs.98 billion with a debt equity ratio of 2:1,” Jindal said.
JSW Steel has expressed interest in acquiring United Coal Company of the US, a privately held mining firm with a reserve of 500 million tonnes of coal, he said.
“We are confident of acquiring the company and we have already submitted our bids,” Jindal said.
JSW Steel is also eyeing coal and iron ore assets in South America, Australia and South Africa.
- Bengal to vest 270 acres from JSW Steel - Aug 10, 2011
- Bengal government's bid to regularise JSW's land (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Sajjan Jindal's Bengal steel project to start soon - Jul 11, 2012
- JSW Steel's Salboni project to 'restart' in August: Bengal minister - Jul 25, 2012
- Equipment foundation of Salboni project by December - Sep 08, 2010
- Bengal government to sort out JSW's plant problems - Oct 29, 2011
- JSW Steel plans to complete Salboni project in three years - Feb 09, 2010
- JSW Steel partners with Japanese firm - Nov 19, 2009
- JSW Steel to start Salboni project by fiscal-end - Jul 27, 2010
- JSW Steel to start on Salboni project after Puja: Jindal - Sep 10, 2011
- India's JSW Steel in multibillion Oz takeover bid - Oct 25, 2011
- Policy matters, iron ore sourcing delaying steel plant: JSW Steel - Jan 10, 2012
- Bhattacharjee assures JSW of security for Salboni plant - Feb 08, 2010
- Jindal to invest $10 bn in Orissa project - Mar 23, 2010
- JSW Bengal faces no problem in Maoist-hit West Midnapore - Jun 03, 2010
Tags: 10 million, assocham, bhadrak, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, coal company, debt equity ratio, group company, industry of india, initial capacity, iron ore, jindal, jsw steel, kolkata, managing director, orissa, sidelines, steel plant, vice chairman, west bengal