Saint-Gobain to invest Rs.10 bn in RajasthanJune 23rd, 2008 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 23 (IANS) The Indian arm of French float-glass manufacturer Saint-Gobain is setting up a 300,000 tonne plant at Bhiwadi in Rajasthan with an investment of Rs.10 billion ($250 million), top company officials said. The new plant will take the company’s capacity to 750,000 tonnes per annum, as its Rs.15 billion unit at Sriperumbudur near here has a capacity of 450,000, Saint-Gobain India managing director B. Santhanam told a press conference here.
“The investment in the first phase of the new unit will be Rs.10 billion,” said Santhanam, who is also president of the group’s float glass division for South Asia.
“There is adequate cash generation to meet the capital expenditure,” said Anand Y. Mahajan, general delegate, South Asia, Saint-Gobain. “There are options like borrowing locally or in Europe or inter-corporate borrowing from group outfits.”
Explaining the rationale for the proposed investment in Rajasthan, Santhanam said the logistics cost is around 15 percent of sales realisation; this would be reduced as the plant will be near the targeted market - northern India.
He said the company and the Rajasthan government have discussed the project, that will require around 150 acres of land.
Saint-Gobain gets just a shade less than a third of its total sales from northern and western India, while east accounts the least.
According to Santhanam, the domestic glass industry is growing at 18-20 percent anually since 2000 on the back of economic growth and a booming construction sector.
The high-end realty segment, where glass has become an integral part of design, is growing faster.
“Trends like the green building movement have encouraged usage of glass in a more evolved manner,” he added.
- Saint Gobain wants suppliers to slash rates - Nov 13, 2008
- JK Tyre actively looking for rubber plantation overseas - Jul 30, 2012
- Saint Gobain, IIT-Madras to partner research projects - Aug 01, 2008
- Uflex assigns $250 mn for growth, eyes $2-bn revenue by 2015 - Sep 06, 2012
- Berger Paints to double capacity by 2013-end - Aug 02, 2012
- BOC to raise Rs.780 cr in 2011 - May 24, 2010
- India to launch 16 new nuclear reactors - Jun 01, 2012
- Shree Vijay setting up aqua feed plant in Andhra - Feb 22, 2012
- Concast plans to set up Rs. 8 bn cement plant in Arunachal - Feb 02, 2012
- BOC India's three plants in advanced stages of commissioning - May 17, 2012
- Wheels India to invest Rs.70 crore on expansion - Oct 27, 2011
- Honda starts operations at Rajasthan plant - Feb 14, 2012
- Hero to merge investment arm with self, invest Rs.2,575 crore - Jun 04, 2012
- JK Tyre enters Tamil Nadu with Rs.1500 crore plant - Aug 04, 2010
- U.S. announces two Clean Air Act settlements covering 28 industrial plants nationwide - Jan 22, 2010
Tags: anand, anually, bhiwadi, capital expenditure, cash generation, chennai, company officials, construction sector, delegate, float glass manufacturer, glass industry, indian arm, mahajan, northern india, rajasthan government, saint gobain, santhanam, South Asia, targeted market, western india