Ryanair plans standing seats to cut costsJuly 1st, 2010 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
By Venkata Vemuri
London, July 1 (IANS) Irish budget airline Ryanair has a novel idea to cut costs. Standing seats at four pounds a head. And how will it pay for these? By charging passengers a pound for using toilets aboard.
The airline plans safety tests for the “vertical seats” early next year. Around the same time, it will also start charging passengers every time the toilet is used.
According to its plans, the back ten rows of seats will be removed from the carrier’s 250 planes and replaced with 15 rows of vertical seats. Two toilets at the back could also be removed to free up even more space. Between 40 and 50 extra passengers will be able to travel on each flight if the plan gets the go ahead, enabling Ryanair to cut its own costs.
The revenue generated from charging passengers to use the toilet would pay for the new vertical seating.
In the new vertical seats, passengers will still be restrained with a seat belt which will go over the shoulder, and will adhere to all current safety regulations which apply to normal aircraft seating, Ryanair spokesperson Stephen McNamara was quoted by Daily Mail as saying.
He is confident that the seats can pass safety tests. “Boeing can put a man on the moon so I am sure they are able to make these a success.”
But a spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority warned the plans may not meet safety requirements. “It’s aviation law that people have to have a seat-belt on at take-off and landing so they would have to be in a seat,” he said.
(Venkata Vemuri can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ryanair confirms that it is going to charge a 'toilet-fee' - Apr 08, 2010
- Irish Airline Plans To Remove Seating for "Standing Room Only" Flights - Jul 03, 2010
- Ryanair to offer standing room 'vertical seats' to passengers for just $10 - Jul 03, 2010
- Ryanair passengers to be charged for peeing! - Apr 08, 2010
- Ryanair To Charge For Toilet Usage - Apr 08, 2010
- Ryanair Slaps Toilet Fee On Fliers To Boost Revenue - Apr 10, 2010
- Growing hidden costs of budget airlines - Jun 15, 2010
- Ryanair Determined To Charge A Toilet Fee On Its Flights - Apr 08, 2010
- Ryanair To Charge Toilet Fee & Raise Seasonal Luggage Charge - Apr 08, 2010
- Ryanair CEO: 'We are serious about charging a toilet fee' - Apr 10, 2010
- New aircraft seat to cram more passengers - Sep 14, 2010
- Ryanair plans on standing room to accommodate more people on board plane - Jul 07, 2009
- Most air passengers won't mind standing for free: Poll - Jul 23, 2009
- British airways tries saving merger deal with Iberia - Jun 23, 2010
- Sack airline boss to cut costs, says pilot - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: aviation law, boeing, budget airline, civil aviation authority, daily mail, july 1, man on the moon, mcnamara, novel idea, planes, revenue generated from, ryanair, safety regulations, safety requirements, safety tests, seat belt, spokesman, spokesperson, toilet, toilets