Russia’s UAC may join India in BrahMos-II missile projectOctober 3rd, 2008 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Oct 3 (RIA Novosti) Russia’s United Aircraft Corp (UAC) said Friday it would participate in the joint development of a new cruise missile with India only if a decision was taken to adapt the missile for service with the Russian Air Force.”Our participation will be certain only if we receive an official request to equip Russian fighters, the Su-30MKI in particular, with these missiles. So far we have not received such a request,” said UAC president Alexey Fyodorov.
UAC, a government-owned corporation, consolidates leading domestic aircraft construction companies and state assets engaged in the manufacture, design and sale of military, civilian, transport, and unmanned aircraft.
Russia and India announced in September plans to jointly develop a new BrahMos-2 hypersonic cruise missile.
The new missile will have a top speed of over Mach 5, which would make it virtually impossible to intercept.
At present, BrahMos Aerospace, a joint India-Russia venture, produces and markets BrahMos supersonic missiles, whose sea-based and land-based versions have been successfully tested and put into service with the Indian Army and Navy.
The head of BrahMos Aerospace, Sivathanu Pillai, earlier said that the company had finished the development of the airborne version of the BrahMos missile and the Indian Air Force had chosen the SU-30MKI fighter as a trial platform for the missile.
The BrahMos missile has a range of 290 km and can carry a conventional warhead of up to 300 kg. It can hit ground targets flying at an altitude as low as 10 meters and has a top speed of Mach 2.8, which is about three times faster than the US-made subsonic Tomahawk cruise missile.
Analysts estimate that India could purchase up to 1,000 BrahMos missiles for its armed forces in the next decade, and export 2,000 to other countries during the same period.
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version to begin this year: Russian official - Jun 12, 2011
- India to arm Russia-built jets with BrahMos missiles - Apr 22, 2010
- Successful trial of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile - Aug 12, 2011
- Indian fighter jets to be armed with BrahMos missiles - Feb 05, 2010
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon - Mar 31, 2012
- India successfully tests supersonic cruise missile - Jul 29, 2012
- India tests BrahMos supersonic cruise missile - Mar 30, 2012
- India, Russia spar over BrahMos missile air version - Mar 12, 2011
- 40 Indian fighter jets to be fitted with BrahMos missiles - Apr 22, 2010
- India-Russia JV to fund hypersonic missile project - Aug 17, 2011
- India successfully tests BrahMos (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Malaysia plans to buy 18 more Russian fighter jets - Nov 15, 2011
- BrahMos missile likely to be inducted in IAF by 2013 - Aug 25, 2010