Russia’s Severstal to buy ArcelorMittal’s US steel millApril 16th, 2008 - 8:00 pm ICT by admin
Washington, April 16 (RIA Novosti) The US Department of Justice has approved a $810 million deal allowing Russia’s largest steel producer Severstal to purchase a US steel mill from ArcelorMittal, media reports said Wednesday. The US in February 2007 demanded ArcelorMittal sell the Sparrows Point steel mill in a bid to prevent monopolisation of the market after the merger of Mittal Steel and Luxemburg-based Arcelor.
Sparrows Point is located in Baltimore County, Maryland, and is currently owned by ArcelorMittal, a joint venture between Indian steel giant L. N. Mittal’s Mittal Steel and Arcelor in 2006 with a controlling interest held by Mittal.
“The purchase of Sparrows Point adds to our portfolio of American assets. The plant already has significant value and possesses the potential for growth,” Severstal CEO Alexei Mordashev earlier said.
Sparrows Point produces 3.6 million metric tonnes of steel per year. It is the only integrated producer of rolled metal on the US east coast, and also one of the leading American suppliers of tin.
“The deal will create additional sales opportunities for the company and expand the geographical scope of the delivery of Severstal products, creating an opportunity for direct ocean transportation… and providing proximity to a large number of US railroads and highways,” Severstal earlier said.
Severstal is represented on both the Russian and the London stock exchanges. In 2007, it produced 17.5 million tonnes of steel and reported $15.2 billion in revenues.
- Russian steel maker Severstal to buy US mill - May 08, 2008
- ArcelorMittal Liberia announces first iron ore shipment - Mar 20, 2012
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- ArcelorMittal says it won't extend Canadian takeover offer - Dec 23, 2010
- ArcelorMittal again extends bid for Canadian ore company - Jan 11, 2011
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- ArcelorMittal hikes bid for Canadian iron ore giant - Jan 01, 2011
- S&P; cuts ArcelorMittal ratings to junk status - Aug 03, 2012
- ArcelorMittal to set up steel mill in Iraq - Mar 16, 2010
- Arcelor, partner in virtual takeover of iron-ore giant - Feb 19, 2011
- Rival betters ArcelorMittal's offer for Toronto mining company - Jan 03, 2011
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- Belgian trade union files complaint against ArcelorMittal - Feb 21, 2012
- ArcelorMittal changes India strategy, focus on smaller units - Sep 16, 2010
- ArcelorMittal again gets nod from Canadian company for takeover - Jan 05, 2011
Tags: american suppliers, arcelor, baltimore county maryland, controlling interest, direct ocean, geographical scope, indian steel, l n mittal, london stock exchanges, metric tonnes, mittal steel, ocean transportation, railroads, ria novosti, sales opportunities, sparrows point steel, steel giant, steel mill, steel producer, us department of justice