Russian president urges Apec greater global roleNovember 21st, 2008 - 6:45 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Nov 21 (RIA Novosti) Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has urged the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) forum to play a stronger role in ensuring global security and overcoming the financial crisis. The 21-member grouping of the Pacific Rim economies, which includes Russia, the United States, China, Japan, South Korea and Australia, will converge on the Peruvian capital Lima for a summit meeting Saturday.
“I am convinced that Apec can and must play an increasing role in the search for stability and prosperity for our shared region,” Medvedev stated in an article published in Latin American media in the run-up to the summit.
“It is the Apec countries, in particular, that will have to largely assume the task of unravelling the world economic crisis. Today, the role of the emerging economies is growing as never before.”
Apec member states account for 60 percent of the world’s economy and around half of the global trade.
Medvedev also pledged Russia’s contribution to regional energy security.
“As one of the largest oil and gas suppliers in the world, Russia will promote the creation of such a system of energy supply in the Asia-Pacific region that would let consumers diversify the geography of imports, as well as ensure reliable and uninterrupted supplies,” the article said.
“We are clearly interested in maintaining stable and predictable hydrocarbon prices based on the real ratio of demand to supply. We stand ready to take part in joint energy-saving projects, and the development of alternative energy sources,” the president wrote.
- Russia to increase energy exports to Asia-Pacific - Sep 04, 2012
- Asia-Pacific key to Russia's future: Putin - Sep 06, 2012
- Chinese president arrives in Hawaii for APEC meeting - Nov 11, 2011
- APEC warns of fragile recovery, sees unemployment as challenge - Nov 12, 2009
- India, Russia reiterate commitment to successful completion of IMF - Dec 21, 2010
- Russia refutes peace deal with Japan at APEC summit - Sep 02, 2012
- Taiwan to help Russia build world's largest aquarium - Jul 27, 2010
- Asia-Pacific ministers warn economic crisis not over - Nov 11, 2009
- Obama, Manmohan Singh to meet in Bali Nov 18 - Nov 10, 2011
- Japan donates $3.9 mn to APEC - Jun 20, 2010
- Medvedev pledges modernisation will continue - Nov 13, 2011
- World Bank president praises Asia's attitude in global crisis - Nov 10, 2009
- APEC seeks actions to 'restore confidence' (Lead) - Nov 23, 2008
- BRICS source of stability in time of recession: PM - Dec 15, 2011
- Medvedev sees potential for further cooperation with US - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: alternative energy sources, apec countries, asia pacific economic cooperation, asia pacific region, dmitry medvedev, hydrocarbon prices, latin american media, pacific economic cooperation, peruvian capital, ria novosti