Russian gas for Europe pumped into Ukrainian pipelineJanuary 20th, 2009 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Jan 20 (DPA) Russian gas was on its way to Europe Tuesday after the Russian monopoly Gazprom began pumping it into a Ukrainian transit pipeline for the first time since a nearly two-week supply blockade began.Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko said in Moscow that Gazprom began the deliveries at 4 a.m. (0100 GMT) and Gazprom said it would resume normal gas flows to Europe about six hours later.
The supply resumed after both countries laid aside a bitter dispute over fees and the illegal siphoning of gas, which had cut European countries off from energy supplies in the middle of a harsh winter.
Ukraine said it would not obstruct the deliveries, but experts said even after the taps are reopened, it could take at least one day for gas flows to reach Europe.
The European Union has been hard hit by the gas row since Russia cut all supplies via Ukraine Jan 7, accusing it of stealing gas transits.
Roughly one-quarter of all gas burned in the EU comes from Russia, and 80 percent of it passes through Ukrainian pipelines.
Hundreds of thousands of people have been left without heating fuel, and factories and schools have been forced to close as sub-freezing temperature swept countries in Eastern Europe most severely affected by the gas cut-off.
Russia cut gas to Ukraine Jan 1 after it refused a fixed price of 250 dollars per 1,000 cubic metres - a huge increase over the $179.50 Ukraine paid last year. Tymoshenko said she expected a price of $230 this year.
- Now Russian gas to Europe to pass through Turkey - Dec 29, 2011
- Ukraine asks EU to mediate in gas dispute with Russia - Jan 01, 2009
- Ukraine ex-PM gets 7-year jail for abuse of office - Oct 11, 2011
- Talks fail, will cut off gas to Ukraine: Gazprom - Jan 01, 2009
- Former Ukraine PM Tymoshenko goes on hunger strike - Apr 25, 2012
- Russia, Ukraine sign new gas contract (Lead) - Jan 20, 2009
- Ukraine slashes Russian gas purchases for 2012 - Sep 01, 2011
- Gazprom accuses Ukraine of blocking gas transits again - Jan 13, 2009
- Russian gas supplies to resume Tuesday: EU (Third lead) - Jan 13, 2009
- EU in frantic talks as Russian gas flow stalls (Roundup) - Jan 13, 2009
- Ukraine okays international gas observers - Jan 11, 2009
- Putin cautions EU over Ukraine gas issue - Nov 02, 2009
- Russia-Ukraine gas summit 'long overdue', says EU (Lead) - Jan 15, 2009
- Russia, Ukraine reach deal on gas transits to Europe (Lead) - Jan 18, 2009
- Moscow to hold summit on gas row Saturday: Kremlin - Jan 15, 2009
Tags: bitter dispute, blockade, countries in eastern europe, deliveries, dpa, energy supplies, european countries, factories, gazprom, harsh winter, hundreds of thousands, jan 7, monopoly, pipeline, pipelines, prime minister yulia tymoshenko, russian gas, six hours, taps, ukrainian