Russian firm to build dozens of transport aircraft by 2020January 20th, 2012 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Jan 20 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Aviastar SP, one of Russia’s largest aircraft-building enterprises, is to build 10 super-heavy Antonov An-124 and dozens of Ilyushin Il-476 cargo aircraft by 2020, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Friday.
“There is a large fleet of Ruslan (An-124) aircraft which will be modernized and refitted by 2020 and also ten new aircraft will be built,” said Rogozin, who has responsibility for defence matters and the military-industrial complex.
The Aviastar plant will also produce “dozens” of Il-476 transports, he said.
The Il-476 is an extensively modified variant of the Il-76 freighter, with new engines, reinforced wing, modernized cockpit, and heavier payload. The aircraft will be built for the Russian armed forces and Emergencies Ministry, Aviastar told RIA Novosti last August at the MAKS airshow in Moscow.
No contract has yet been signed by the air force with Aviastar, Aviation Week reported in December.
The first Il-476 prototype is due to be rolled out at Aviastar in February and fly soon after.
- Russian military to use civilian planes - Apr 03, 2012
- Russian Air Force gets first modernized AN-124s - May 17, 2012
- Medvedev orders to build new aircraft plant - Jun 10, 2012
- Russia to develop new AWACS plane - Aug 09, 2011
- Russia to build six submarines annually from 2013 - Feb 03, 2012
- Private military firms may appear in Russia: Minister - Sep 20, 2012
- Russia denies 'systemic crisis' in space industry - Sep 07, 2012
- Russia to build two space-defence missile plants - Feb 04, 2012
- Russian deputy PM backs hypersonic bomber - Aug 27, 2012
- Russia sends food aid to Libya - Jul 26, 2011
- Russian plans aerospace university - May 06, 2012
- Russia to build new aircraft carrier after 2020 - Jul 27, 2012
- 12 die in Russian military plane crash (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Ukraine offers help in NATO Afghan pullout - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia expects US compromise on missile defense - Oct 27, 2011
Tags: aviastar, aviation week, cargo aircraft, cockpit, defence matters, deputy prime minister, dg, dmitry rogozin, dozens, emergencies, freighter, ilyushin, maks airshow, military industrial complex, new aircraft, new engines, prototype, ria novosti, russian firm, transport aircraft