Russian firm offers to build nuclear reactor in JordanMay 24th, 2009 - 3:43 am ICT by IANS
Amman, May 24 (DPA) The Jordanian government has received an offer from Russia’s Rosatom Corporation for building a research nuclear reactor in the country, Chairman of the Jordan Atomic Energy Commission (JAEC) Khalid Touqan said Saturday.
The tender was made under the provisions of the nuclear cooperation agreement which Jordan signed with Russia in Moscow Friday, Touqan said in an interview with the official Petra news agency.
“The importance of the accord stems from the vast Russian experience in the field of nuclear energy that will allow Russian firms, particularly Rosatom, to build nuclear utilities in Jordan,” he added.
Touqan said that under the accord, Jordan would be sending between eight and 10 students next year to study nuclear engineering and physics at Russian universities.
This is the fifth agreement to be signed by Jordan with nuclear countries for the avowed aim of importing nuclear technology for peaceful purposes, he said.
The Jordanian government inked similar agreements over the past year with France, China, Canada and South Korea.
Jordan, which imports more than 95 percent of its energy needs, aspires to drastically trim its energy bill by resorting to peaceful uses of the nuclear energy.
The Hashemite Kingdom and other Arab countries have started to show increasing interest in possessing nuclear know-how after Iran pushed ahead adamantly with its nuclear programme.
- Jordan, Turkey ink nuclear deal - Feb 18, 2011
- Jordan, Japan finalise draft nuclear deal - Jun 15, 2010
- Russia and Jordan agrees on energy deal and support to Palestine - Jan 20, 2011
- Russia to help Bangladesh build n-power plant - Nov 02, 2011
- Jordan, Britain agree on civilian nuclear cooperation - Jun 30, 2008
- Russia, Belarus sign $10 bn nuke plant deal - Jul 18, 2012
- Russia asks Pakistan to expedite 26/11 probe, backs India for UNSC seat (Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
- Iran willing to work with Russia on more power plants - Mar 26, 2012
- Iran's n-plant launch delayed - May 30, 2012
- Jordan home to over 180,000 Syrian refugees - Sep 03, 2012
- Jordan, China sign nuclear cooperation pact - Aug 20, 2008
- 130,000 Syrians fled to Jordan since 2011 - Jul 09, 2012
- Syria's neighbours should help end conflict: Putin - Jun 27, 2012
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Dhaka inks N-power deal with Moscow - May 22, 2010
Tags: arab countries, atomic energy commission, avowed aim, energy bill, hashemite kingdom, jordan amman, jordanian government, nuclear cooperation agreement, nuclear countries, nuclear engineering, nuclear reactor, nuclear technology, nuclear utilities, peaceful purposes, peaceful uses, rosatom, russian experience, russian firm, russian firms, russian universities