‘Russian billionaire in bid to buy British paper’January 9th, 2009 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 9 (IANS) A Russian billionaire and former KGB agent’s approach to buy the Evening Standard, London’s traditional daily, has been rebuffed by its owners, according to media reports Friday.Viscount Rothermere, the controlling shareholder of the Daily Mail and General Trust (DMGT), rebuffed an approach by Alexander Lebedev, former first director of the Soviet spy agency KGB, who made his fortune from banking, the Times reported.
Lebedev is reported to have shown an interest in buying the loss-making title last year but is thought not to have put forward a formal offer, and discussions have lapsed. Rothermere was understood to be against a sale, the paper added.
The Evening Standard, which is more than 150 years old, has struggled to compete against rival papers in recent years, in particular two free eveningers - London Lite, published by DMGT, and thelondonpaper, published by Rupert Murdoch’s News International, the parent company of The Times.
DMGT has not spelt out the amount it loses, but its annual deficit is less than 10 million pounds, the Times said.
Lebedev, who is close to former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev, was ranked 39th on the Forbes list of Russia’s top 100 billionaires before the credit crunch.
- Ex-KGB man set to buy London Evening Standard? - Jan 15, 2009
- Ex-KGB officer Lebedev to buy Evening Standard for a pound - Jan 16, 2009
- London Evening Standard sold to ex-Soviet spy - Jan 21, 2009
- Ex-KGB agent Lebedev to buy London Evening Standard - Jan 15, 2009
- Russian media tycoon sells radio stations - May 17, 2012
- Russian oligarch Lebedev to buy The Independent for a pound - Mar 01, 2010
- Murdoch shuts London Paper, quits free sheet war - Aug 21, 2009
- Ex-KGB spy buys the Independent for a pound - Mar 26, 2010
- Russia needs fair elections: Gorbachev - Sep 22, 2011
- Gorbachev worried about Putin's return - Sep 26, 2011
- James Murdoch quits boards of Sun, Times - Nov 23, 2011
- Fortnightly edited by Indian-origin scribe wins top British media award - Apr 30, 2012
- Russia must democratise to avoid mass unrest: Gorbachev - Oct 19, 2010
- Gorbachev urges Russia election re-run - Dec 24, 2011
- Abramovich symbolizes 'rich debauchery' which has plagued Russia, says Gorbachev - Feb 17, 2011