Russia to offer $26 bn rescue package for beleaguered banksOctober 18th, 2008 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Oct 18 (RIA Novosti) Russia’s central bank will place a financial rescue package of up to $26.6 billion in unsecured loans Monday to bail out banks from the ongoing liquidity crisis.Only banks rated by the international agencies Fitch Ratings, Standard & Poor’s and Moody’s Investors Service will be able to apply for the six-month loans.
The relief package and the eligibility criteria were approved by the Russian parliament and signed into a law Friday by President Dmitry Medvedev.
A government source said around 120 banks would be able to apply for the bailout.
He said the government was only prepared to protect the country’s key banks, and that the state might go for larger stake in some of the banks.
The finance ministry has previously held similar auction, with around $30 billion already disbursed.
Apart from the rescue package, the country’s largest state-run bank Sberbank will receive a $19 billion loan from the central bank, with the first tranche of $5.7 billion expected to be transferred next week, an insider said.
“The agreement has been signed. The funds are likely to be transferred next Tuesday or Wednesday,” the source said.
- Fitch downgrades Spain's two major banks - Jun 12, 2012
- Finland expects tough loan collateral talks with Spain - Jul 06, 2012
- Pakistan fails to convince IMF to release final tranche of $11.3bn loan - Apr 19, 2011
- Eurozone agrees to bail out Spanish banks - Jun 10, 2012
- Spanish banks' bad-loans ratio hits new record - Aug 18, 2012
- Pakistan fails to get IMF assurance on $11.3 bn loan release - Apr 19, 2011
- Moody's downgrades Greece to lowest rating (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- US stocks mixed amid euro uncertainties - Jun 12, 2012
- Fitch downgrades 18 Spanish banks - Jun 12, 2012
- EU urges Greece to reaffirm reform commitment - Nov 08, 2011
- Eurozone approves new Greek bailout plan (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Pakistan receives third tranche of IMF loan - Aug 12, 2009
- Give Greece extra time: Austria - Aug 27, 2012
- IMF approves another bailout tranche for Greece - Dec 06, 2011
- Greek referendum plan plunges financial markets into frenzy - Nov 02, 2011