Russia says to further cut gas to UkraineJanuary 6th, 2009 - 3:41 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Jan 6 (DPA) Russia has said it will further cut gas to Ukraine by 65 million cubic metres per day, the amount Moscow says Kiev is stealing from European clients further downstream.Gazprom cheif executive Alexei Miller Monday proposed the measure while briefing Prime Minsiter Vladimir Putin on the standoff since the company shut off supplies to Ukraine on Jan 1 over non-payments and a pricing dispute.
“Good, I agree. Let’s begin the cuts from today,” Putin was reported to have responded.
Miller said Gazprom would instead increase gas deliveries to Europe through Belarus and its Blue-Stream pipeline under the Black Sea.
The news came after Russia accused Ukraine Monday of refusal to ship additional volumes of Russian gas via its pipelines as the deepening dispute over gas transit tariffs and pricing began to threaten supplies to European customers.
Russian gas makes up one-quarter of the European Union’s needs, 80 percent of which travels through Ukraine.
The new cuts would lower supplies transiting through Ukraine to some 250 million cubic metres per day.
By Monday evening, there was no sign of negotiations restarting in the deadlock and both parties threatened to bring their complaints to European courts.
The EU, meanwhile, sent a fact-finding mission to Kiev in anticipation of possible impacts to European consumers.
- Now Russian gas to Europe to pass through Turkey - Dec 29, 2011
- Ukraine gas transit system price to fall in 2012 - Jan 01, 2012
- Ukraine asks EU to mediate in gas dispute with Russia - Jan 01, 2009
- Gazprom accuses Ukraine of blocking gas transits again - Jan 13, 2009
- Russia cuts off gas to Belarus - Jun 21, 2010
- Russian gas deliveries to Turkey, Balkan states halted (Lead) - Jan 06, 2009
- Russia, Ukraine sign new gas contract (Lead) - Jan 20, 2009
- Talks fail, will cut off gas to Ukraine: Gazprom - Jan 01, 2009
- Russia, EU close to solution on gas row: Putin - Jan 17, 2009
- Russia, Ukraine reach deal on gas transits to Europe (Lead) - Jan 18, 2009
- Ukraine slashes Russian gas purchases for 2012 - Sep 01, 2011
- Russian gas for Europe pumped into Ukrainian pipeline - Jan 20, 2009
- Putin proposes EU consortium to aid gas flow - Jan 16, 2009
- Russia may stop gas supply to western Europe - Dec 27, 2008
- Ukraine illegally tapped Europe-bound Russian gas: Gazprom - Jan 04, 2009