Russia may stop gas supply to western EuropeDecember 27th, 2008 - 12:30 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 27 (DPA) Russian gas export monopoly Gazprom has said its dispute with Ukraine over payments could cause disruptions in deliveries to Western Europe, a news agency reported.Gazprom spokesman Sergei Kupriyanov said that the head of the Russian gas behemoth Alexei Miller had notified Europe’s largest clients that it could not rule out the possibility of a cut off, according to Itar-Tass.
At issue is the lack of progress in reaching agreement with Ukraine’s Naftogaz over $2 billion in non-payments for imports by Kiev, with a New Year’s deadline looming with threatened cut-offs by Gazprom.
Gazprom supplies about one-quarter of the European Union’s gas needs, 80 percent of which is shipped through Ukraine.
In its letter, Gazprom said it doubted it could uphold its obligations to deliver gas to western Europe without resolution of the disagreements with Naftogaz. But Gazprom pledged to do all it could to resolve the dispute.
In a similar dispute in 2006, Russia blamed Kiev for siphoning off gas to European customers - sparking fuel shortages and a price spike as far as Paris.
Gazprom claims Ukraine has paid only $800 million in arrears of its total debt, and analysts say the country’s crushing economic problems make reimbursing of more of the debt difficult.
Ukraine has asked for a $16.4-billion loan from the International Monetary Fund(IMF), but IMF conditions mean the fund cannot be directly used to pay for Russian gas arrears.
- Former Ukraine PM Tymoshenko goes on hunger strike - Apr 25, 2012
- Gazprom accuses Ukraine of blocking gas transits again - Jan 13, 2009
- US urges Ukraine, Russia to settle gas dispute - Jan 02, 2009
- Ukraine ex-PM gets 7-year jail for abuse of office - Oct 11, 2011
- Gas stolen in Ukrainian transportation system: Russian firm - Jan 14, 2009
- Now Russian gas to Europe to pass through Turkey - Dec 29, 2011
- Russian gas deliveries to Turkey, Balkan states halted (Lead) - Jan 06, 2009
- Russia resumes gas flow to Europe (Lead) - Jan 13, 2009
- Talks fail, will cut off gas to Ukraine: Gazprom - Jan 01, 2009
- Russia threatens to block gas supply to Ukraine over debt - Nov 23, 2008
- Ukraine stops all gas supplies to Europe: Gazprom - Jan 07, 2009
- Ukraine refuses to transit gas for Europe: Gazprom (Lead) - Jan 14, 2009
- US urges Russia to restore gas supply to Europe - Jan 13, 2009
- Russia, Ukraine sign new gas contract (Lead) - Jan 20, 2009
- Russia may again cut gas to Ukraine for nonpayment, says Putin - Mar 05, 2009