Russia leader wants pot, prostitution made legalJanuary 20th, 2012 - 8:09 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Jan 20 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A lawmaker in a city government in Russia has called on Prime Minister Vladimir Putin to legalise prostitution and cannabis in his city in Russia’s Kaliningrad exclave to help boost tourism.
Valery Pryzhkov, a member of the government of the Baltic seaside resort of Svetlogorsk city, and a member of the ruling United Russia party, said the move would also help fight against HIV in the region.
There are about 4,000 people living with HIV in the exclave.
“We can use the successful European experience and set up an experimental platform in the region,” Pryzhkov said in a letter to Putin, the newkaliningrad.ru web portal reported.
Russia has around five million drug users and has been one of the worst-affected countries by drugs trafficked from Central Asia.
President Dmitry Medvedev has called Afghan heroin a threat to Russia’s national security.
Pryzhkov also called for the transfer of Russia’s four specially-designated gambling zones — now being built in the region — to Svetlogorsk.
“The region is promising for the development of business tourism and cooperation between Russian and European businesses,” Pryzhkov said.
However, similar initiatives in other Russian regions have ended in failure. There was even a reported attempt to start a red light district in Moscow in the 1990s but it was also unsuccessful.
- Russian teacher faces jail over sex with teenagers - Dec 23, 2011
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
- Russian jogging event mistaken for gay rally - Jan 24, 2012
- Russia restricts Belarusian airline - Apr 06, 2012
- Over 380,000 policemen for Russia's election day - Mar 04, 2012
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defence systems near borders - Feb 14, 2012
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- Russians head for polls to elect new president (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- Russian man dies stunning fish with electric shock - May 30, 2011
- Putin urges fans to help tourists at World Cup - Jan 20, 2012
- Moscow allows poll protest Dec 24 - Dec 14, 2011
- Russia votes for parliament, a test of Putin's leadership - Dec 04, 2011
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Putin, Obama to meet after presidential inauguration - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: business tourism, central asia, city government, dmitry medvedev, drug users, european businesses, european experience, experimental platform, heroin, kaliningrad, lawmaker, living with hiv, red light district, ria novosti, ru web, russian regions, seaside resort, valery, vladimir putin, web portal