Russia launches military transport plane project with IndiaApril 23rd, 2009 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 23 (RIA Novosti) The Russian government has allocated an initial $64 million to part finance a joint project with India to develop a new military transport plane, a defence industry official said Thursday.
Russia and India signed an intergovernmental agreement on the joint development of a multi-role transport aircraft (MTA) in 2007. The cost of the $600-million project is being equally shared by the two countries.
“The Russian government has signed a directive to launch the Russian-Indian project for the development of the MTA, 2.156 billion rubles ($64 million) have been allocated from the federal budget for this project in 2009,” said Viktor Livanov, general director of the Ilyushin Design Bureau.
The transport plane, with a 20-tonne cargo capacity, is expected to go in service with the Russian and Indian air forces in about eight years, the official said.
The Russian participants in the project include the Ilyushin Design Bureau and the Irkut Corporation, which is part of Russia’s United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) created in 2006. State-owned aircraft manufacturing company Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is representing India in the project.
India is expected to procure 45 MTA planes, while Russia, which needs to replace its outdated fleet of AN-12, AN-26 and AN-32 transport planes, is most likely to commission at least 100 aircraft.
- HAL to make multirole aircraft with Russian firm (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- HAL inks pact to make multi-role aircraft - May 29, 2012
- IAF chief to review aircraft projects in Russia - Aug 09, 2012
- Indo-Russian transport aircraft to fly by 2017 - Sep 12, 2010
- IAF's Sukhoi jets to be upgraded to fifth generation fighters - Aug 18, 2011
- India, Russia ink pact to jointly design, develop multi role transport aircraft - Sep 10, 2010
- Russian n-reactor designer held for fraud - Apr 18, 2012
- IRKUT sees good potential for MC-21 aircraft in India - Mar 15, 2012
- Medvedev orders to build new aircraft plant - Jun 10, 2012
- India to get 250-300 advanced jets co-developed with Russia (Lead) - Oct 07, 2010
- India, Russia finalize transport aircraft project - Sep 09, 2010
- Belarus may buy outdated Su-30 fighters from Russia - Sep 16, 2011
- Malaysia plans to buy 18 more Russian fighter jets - Nov 15, 2011
- Antony flags delays in Russian defence supplies - Oct 05, 2011
- Crashed Sukhoi was replacement aircraft - May 16, 2012
Tags: aeronautics, air forces, aircraft corporation, aircraft manufacturing company, cargo capacity, defence industry, federal budget, ilyushin, intergovernmental agreement, livanov, military transport plane, mta, project india, ria novosti, rubles, russian government, russian participants, tonne, transport aircraft, transport planes