Russia announces completion of Iran’s first nuclear power plantFebruary 25th, 2009 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
Bushehr (Iran), Feb 25 (RIA Novosti) Russia has completed the construction of Iran’s first nuclear power plant at Bushehr and is launching start-up operations, the head of Russian nuclear power corporation Rosatom said Wednesday.
The plant in south Iran, which Russia undertook to finish as part of a 1998 contract, was originally scheduled to go on line at the end of 2006, but the date has been pushed back several times.
“We can say that the basic construction and assembly work has been completed at the NPP, and we are now switching over to start-up operations,” Rosatom chief Sergei Kiriyenko said.
He said that under the Russian-Iranian contract, Russian experts would operate the plant’s first reactor and have the task of creating a team of skilled Russian staff.
Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said earlier the Bushehr plant would go on stream in the first half of 2009. A Russian deputy foreign minister said last Friday the plant would be commissioned according to the schedule agreed on with Tehran.
In December 2007 - January 2008, Russia supplied nuclear fuel for the plant under control of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the UN nuclear watchdog. Iran has agreed to return spent nuclear fuel to Russia.
The construction of the Bushehr plant was started in 1975 by German companies. However, the German firms stopped work after a US embargo on hi-tech supplies to Iran was imposed following the 1979 Islamic Revolution and the subsequent take over of the US embassy in Tehran.
- Iran willing to work with Russia on more power plants - Mar 26, 2012
- Iran launches Bushehr nuclear power plant - Sep 12, 2011
- Iran's first n-plant to come online Aug 21 - Aug 13, 2010
- Iran n-plant to switch to full capacity in May - May 04, 2012
- Russia to help Bangladesh build n-power plant - Nov 02, 2011
- Iran's n-plant launch delayed - May 30, 2012
- Iran reloads fuel into Bushehr n-plant - Apr 08, 2011
- Iran's Bushehr n-plant to begin operations in 2012 - May 15, 2012
- Iran's sole n-power plant becomes operational - May 19, 2011
- Iran's Bushehr n-plant almost ready: Russia - Jun 19, 2011
- Iran plans test run of Bushehr nuclear plant Wednesday - Feb 24, 2009
- "Iran can launch n-power plant without Russian help' - Feb 28, 2009
- Nuclear fuel to be loaded in Kudankulam plant - Sep 05, 2012
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Russians confirm Iran nuke reactor damage - Mar 01, 2011
Tags: assembly work, atomic energy agency, basic construction, first nuclear power plant, german companies, german firms, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, islamic revolution, manouchehr mottaki, npp, nuclear fuel, nuclear power corporation, nuclear power plant, ria novosti russia, rosatom, russian experts, russian staff, sergei kiriyenko