Russia admitted to World Trade OrganisationDecember 17th, 2011 - 6:48 am ICT by IANS
Geneva, Dec 17 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Global trade ministers Friday accepted Russia’s bid to join the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
The accession protocol was signed for Russia by Economic Development Minister Elvira Nabiullina and for the WTO, by its Director General Pascal Lamy.
Russian deputy prime minister Igor Shuvalov, President of the Swiss Confederation Micheline Calmy-Rey, and WTO ministers attended the ceremony of signing the accession protocol.
Russia has been working to join the WTO since 1993. The last remaining obstacle for its entry has been Georgia, which has refused to approve Russia’s entry ever since the two countries fought a brief war in August 2008 when Georgia attacked South Ossetia to bring it back under Tbilisi’s central control.
After the war, Russia recognised the independence of South Ossetia and another ex-Georgian republic, Abkhazia.
Earlier Friday, WTO ministerial conference approved all the documents relating to Russia’s accession to the organisation including commitments on market access for goods and services.
Russia will become a full member of this international organisation with all its rights and responsibilities within 30 days of Russian ratification, expected to occur in the summer of 2012, Russian officials at the conference said.
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Russia unlikely to join WTO in 2011: Minister - Sep 17, 2011
- Putin signs WTO accession protocol: Kremlin - Jul 22, 2012
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- World Economic Forum to open in Davos Wednesday - Jan 25, 2012
- Putin wants performance checks for bureaucrats - Feb 04, 2012
- Russia not to let foreigners set up media outlets - Nov 17, 2011
- US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South Ossetia - Jul 31, 2011
- Russia ready to restore diplomatic ties with Georgia - Mar 03, 2012
- Russia likely to join WTO by year-end - Aug 04, 2011
- Iran-Russia ties key to 'regional, global peace' - Sep 02, 2012
- Russia resumes oil deliveries to Belarus after price agreement - Jan 26, 2011
- Swiss president rings Gilani over abduction (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- 11 militants killed on Georgia-Russia border - Aug 30, 2012
- India, Switzerland ink Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement - Aug 30, 2010
Tags: calmy rey, deputy prime minister, development minister, director general pascal lamy, georgian republic, international organisation, market access, micheline, ria novosti, russian deputy, russian officials, russian ratification, south ossetia, swiss confederation, trade ministers, war russia, world trade organisation, world trade organisation wto, wto ministerial conference, wto ministers