Rushdie slams publisher for dropping ”next Satanic Verses” under Islamist pressureAugust 15th, 2008 - 1:27 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Aug 15 (ANI): Author Salman Rushdie has strongly condemned his publisher for cancelling another writers historical novel about the Prophet Mohammad and his child bride, fearing that the publication of the book could incite acts of violence and anger Muslims.
Rushdie blamed the publisher Random House of abandoning the principle of free speech and caving into pressure from extreme Islamist elements.
I am very disappointed to hear that my publishers, Random House, have cancelled another author’’s novel, apparently because of their concerns about possible Islamic reprisals, Rushdie said.
The Jewel of Medina, a debut novel by the US journalist Sherry Jones, was due to have been published, and Random House had reportedly paid Jones a 50,000 pounds advance for two books.
Rushdie, whose The Satanic Verses led to a death decree in 1989 from Irans Ayatollah Khomeini, called it censorship by fear, and said it sets a very bad precedent.
He said that the Random House is allowing itself to be intimidated, Fox News reported.
However, a Random House spokeswoman said that the decision to pull Sherry Jones debut novel was made with considerable deliberation and regret.
The publisher had planned to release the book this month, but said that credible and unrelated sources warned that the book could incite acts of violence by a small, radical segment. (ANI)
- Rushdie's Jaipur visit under cloud (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Rushdie's Jaipur visit under cloud (Second Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Suspense continues over Rushdie's Jaipur visit (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Rushdie's writings painful: Imran Khan - Jan 31, 2012
- Salman Rushdie for Jaipur Lit Fest Jan 20-22 (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Suspense continues over Rushdie's Jaipur visit - Jan 19, 2012
- Salman Rushdie to attend Jaipur Lit Fest Jan 20-22 - Jan 03, 2012
- Rushdie & god: Jaipur Lit Fest ends on sombre note - Jan 24, 2012
- Rushdie unlikely to attend Jaipur Festival - Jan 17, 2012
- Sentiments vs freedom: Rushdie issue festers - Jan 29, 2012
- Rushdie episode worst communal vote bank politics: BJP (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Vikram Seth attacks government, terms Rushdie affair madness - Jan 26, 2012
- Yale nixes publication of Muhammad cartoons in new book fearing violence - Aug 14, 2009
- Islamic fundamentalists jailed for trying to set ablaze publisher's house in London - Jul 08, 2009
- Don't allow Rushdie in India: Deoband vice chancellor - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: acts of violence, author salman rushdie, ayatollah khomeini, censorship, child bride, debut novel, deliberation, fox news, free speech, jewel, muslims, prophet mohammad, random house, reprisals, salman rushdie, satanic verses, sherry jones, spokeswoman, two books, unrelated sources