Rural development ministry offers to fund bio-toilets for railway coachesJuly 25th, 2012 - 1:04 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh Tuesday offered to equip all new railways coaches with bio-toilets built by Defence Research and Development Organisation and share half the cost of retrofitting all existing coaches with green toilets.
Ramesh, who met Railway Board Chairman Vinay Mittal here, hoped that the project to provide bio-toilets in all trains will be completed in the next four to five years.
According to an official press release, the minister said the project will cost about Rs.500 crore and offered to share the cost on a 50:50 basis with the railways.
Ramesh, who also holds charge of the drinking water and sanitation ministry, said at present only nine trains with 436 coaches were fitted with bio-toilets.
The minister added that nearly 4,000 rail coaches are produced annually which could be fitted with bio-toilets. The railways have an estimated 50,000 coaches.
The release said the move to equip all trains with bio-toilets will prevent corrosion of tracks, increase hygiene and help rid toilets of odour.
It said that under the present system, waste is dumped directly on to the tracks and many passengers ignore requests to not use toilets when trains halt. Apart from the unbearable stench, it leads to clogging of rail lines at busy stations.
Ramesh also requested the Railways to run the Nirmal Bharat Express on the model of Red Ribbon Express to spread the message of cleanliness and sanitation.
The release said Mittal has given a positive nod to the proposal and called upon the drinking water and sanitation ministry to submit a detailed plan.
- India is world's capital for open defecation, says Ramesh - Jul 27, 2012
- Court directs railways to rehabilitate scavengers - Jul 27, 2011
- Green toilets to provide better hygiene for passengers - Mar 14, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 7 - Mar 14, 2012
- India launches bio-toilets for rural homes - Jun 24, 2012
- Hello, This Is Nature's Call From A Garbage Heap! - Apr 07, 2012
- Ramesh for low-cost sanitation solutions - May 30, 2012
- Prominent hightlights of railway budget for 2012-13 - Mar 14, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 9 - Mar 14, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 8 - Mar 14, 2012
- New technology toilets introduced in Delhi : MCD - Aug 14, 2010
- Only 10 percent Indian villages fully sanitized: Jairam - Mar 19, 2012
- India's rail budget raises fares, focuses on safety (Roundup) - Mar 14, 2012
- Trivedi proposes new projects for home state, constituency - Mar 14, 2012
- Women can be prime movers of sanitation, says Patil - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: board chairman, cleanliness and sanitation, crore, defence research, development minister, development ministry, development organisation, jairam ramesh, nirmal, odour, present system, rail coaches, railway board, railway coaches, red ribbon, retrofitting, rs 500, rural development, stench, vinay