Rupee recovers from record low; Sensex upMay 17th, 2012 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 17 (IANS) On the back of a rebound in equity markets, the Indian rupee recovered by almost 30 paise Thursday from the previous day’s record intra-day low of 54.52 against the dollar due to selling of the American currency by banks.
The rupee rose to 54.20 against a US dollar in late morning trade.
The rupee had hit a record low of 54.52 against a dollar Wednesday due to risk aversion in global markets and rising concerns over widening current account and fiscal deficit.
Weak economic growth outlook and high inflation has also been putting pressure on the Indian currency.
The partially convertible rupee had also hit a record closing low of 54.49 against a dollar Wednesday.
The rupee gained some ground taking cues from rebound in the stock markets.
The benchmark Sensex of the Bombay Stock Exchange was trading 0.50 percent higher at 16,109.85 points in the afternoon session Thursday after slumping below the psychological resistance level of 16,000-point mark in the intra-day Wednesday.
The wide-based Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was also ruling 0.52 percent higher at 4,883.70 points.
The markets have recovered a day after Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said the government was planning to introduce fresh austerity measures to ensure fiscal consolidation.
- Rupee slide continues: hits new low of 54.60 against dollar (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Sensex drops 140 points on weak rupee, global worries (Weekly market review) - May 19, 2012
- Rupee dips to new intra-day low of 54.91 to a dollar - May 18, 2012
- India's forex reserves drop by $1.37 billion - May 19, 2012
- Rupee falls for eight straight day - Nov 23, 2011
- Rupee slides below 56 against dollar - May 23, 2012
- India pitches for ratings upgrade from Fitch - May 17, 2012
- Rupee hits record low of 54.50 against dollar (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Rupee sinks to 56.18 against dollar (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Rupee recovers from record low but outlook gloomy - Dec 13, 2011
- Eurozone crisis keeping Indian markets unstable: Pranab - Nov 23, 2011
- Mukherjee hints at austerity as rupee dips to record low (Roundup) - May 16, 2012
- RBI to defend rupee from falling further (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Rupee dips to record low of 54.42 against dollar - May 16, 2012
- Rupee again slips below 56 against dollar - May 30, 2012
Tags: afternoon session, american currency, austerity measures, aversion, bombay stock exchange, cues, current account, finance minister, fiscal consolidation, fiscal deficit, global markets, growth outlook, indian currency, indian rupee, national stock exchange, pranab mukherjee, rebound, resistance level, sensex, stock markets