Rs.70 crore liquor sold on Onam daysAugust 30th, 2012 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 30 (IANS) Kerala saw Rs.70 crore worth of liquor sales during the two Onam days Tuesday and Wednesday.
An official from the excise department told IANS that sales on the first day of Onam totalled Rs.34 crore and Rs.24 crore the next day.
“The figures are still coming in. It could be certainly close to Rs.70 crore during the two days,” said the official.
While the entire state has a holiday on these two Onam days, the only establishments open are the sales outlets of the Kerala State Beverages Corp, the sole wholesalers of liquor in the state.
Liquor in Kerala is sold through 708 bar hotels and 383 state-owned retail outlets.
Rum remains the most preferred drink, accounting for more than 55 percent followed by brandy (close to 40 percent) and Vodka (four percent). Gin, whisky and wine account for the rest.
Sales of liquor in the last fiscal crossed a record Rs.7,000 crore and the revenue to the state government by way of taxes crossed Rs.6,000 crore.
This fiscal the sales are expected to cross Rs.8,000 crore and the state exchequer will get more than Rs.7,000 crore.
- ABD launches new brandy in Kerala - Feb 02, 2012
- Liquor sales in Kerala reach 'dizzy heights' - Apr 16, 2011
- Rum gives Kerala a high as state coffers swell - Aug 24, 2010
- Pay more for liquor, Kerala government told - Apr 17, 2012
- Kerala liquor suppliers threaten supply shutdown - Jun 21, 2012
- Kerala in Catch-22 situation over bar timings - Aug 27, 2012
- Keralites are major liquor guzzlers - Mar 30, 2010
- Kerala distilleries seek hike in liquor prices - Dec 20, 2011
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- Kerala liquor, beer sales on a record 'high' - Mar 31, 2009
- Chandy asks liquor firms not to stop supplies - Aug 24, 2011
- Liquor prices to go up by 6 per cent in Kerala from Aug 1 - Jul 30, 2012
- Tilaknagar Industries lists at Rs.160.10 at NSE - Jul 16, 2010
- Kerala local bodies can give licence for liquor shops - Dec 01, 2011
- We're in dire straits: Kerala distilleries - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: accounting, beverages, brandy, establishments, excise department, gin, hotels, kerala state, liquor sales, onam, preferred drink, retail outlets, rs 8, sales outlets, state exchequer, state government, vodka, whisky, wholesalers, wine