Rs.50,000 crore rapid rail project to take off soon: Kerala ministerMarch 6th, 2010 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 6 (IANS) Kerala Finance Minister Thomas Isaac Saturday said
the proposed Rs.50,000 crore rapid rail corridor project in the state could become a reality in six years.
Isaac told reporters that Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has been asked to prepare the preliminary report for which Rs.50 crore has been set aside in the state budget.
The proposed project would extend from the northern tip of the state to the southern point and the 600-km distance can be covered in six hours, he said.
“This proposed project is likely to come up with the help of the Indian Railways. This corridor can either pass by the side of the existing railway track. Through this land required can be minimised,” said Isaac.
He said a separate company, in which the government will have a stake, would be set up.
“It could be on the lines of the Konkan Railway Corporation,” he said.
With regards to the funds, Isaac said state Industries Minister Elamaram Kareem has already come up with a proposal where a monetary institution is ready to fund the project.
“It has now proved beyond doubt that state government companies cannot execute such projects due to various reasons and hence it would be handed to independent corporations who will execute it in a time bound manner,” added Isaac.
- DMRC to study feasibility for Kerala rail corridor - Jul 16, 2010
- Kerala sets up new company for high speed rail - Sep 15, 2011
- UP goes all out for Metro in major cities - Mar 27, 2012
- Delhi Metro to be extended till Ghaziabad's Mohan Nagar - May 22, 2011
- Green signal for Kerala high speed rail project - Feb 14, 2012
- Budget 2012-13: Delhi Metro gets over Rs.2,200 crore - Mar 16, 2012
- Jaipur Metro likely by June 2013 - Jul 16, 2012
- Hyderabad Metro to finalise vendors in two months - May 01, 2012
- Row breaks out over Kochi Metro Rail project - Jan 02, 2012
- After Mumbai, Pune to get Metro - Jun 07, 2012
- Delhi Metro now goes to Ghaziabad (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- Maharashtra to share 50 percent cost of two railway projects - Mar 08, 2012
- Sreedharan is on board Kochi Metro - Jan 12, 2012
- DMRC signs MoU with Haryana for Badarpur-Faridabad link - Mar 26, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 7 - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: corridor project, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, dmrc, finance minister, government companies, independent corporations, indian railways, industries minister, kareem, konkan railway corporation, monetary institution, northern tip, proposed project, rail corridor, railway track, rapid rail, separate company, state budget, thiruvananthapuram