Rs.38.72 bn interest for banks on waived off farm loanOctober 3rd, 2008 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 3 (IANS) State-owned banks will receive Rs.3,872 crore (Rs.38.72 billion) as interest on farm loans of Rs.716.8 billion that were waived off earlier this year under a government fiat. A cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday sanctioned the amount after the banks argued that the finance ministry’s delay in reimbursing the waived-off farm loan was depriving them of interest that would otherwise have accrued on the loans.
The banks had sought the payment of interest from March 1 this year.
The government is also likely to release Rs.25,000 crore (Rs.250 billion) to the banks to help them meet the loss incurred on account of the farm loan waiver.
It had initially announced a total farm loan waiver of Rs.60,000 crore or Rs.600 billion in February, but subsequently increased it to Rs.71,680 crore (Rs.716.8 billion) to cover nearly 43 million small and marginal farmers.
- Banks to be get Rs.250 bn against farm loan waiver (Lead) - Aug 27, 2008
- Haryana farmers welcome farm loan waiver - Apr 03, 2009
- Punjab seeks complete loan waiver - May 08, 2012
- Villagers of Maharashtra overwhelmed by farm loan waivers - Mar 31, 2009
- Drought-hit Karnataka waives interest on farm loans - Aug 23, 2012
- Tamil Nadu announces loan waiver, welfare measures - Jan 06, 2010
- Bank of India quarterly net profit rises 10 percent - Jan 27, 2012
- Nabard estimates Rs.41,085 crore credit flow in Karnataka - Dec 21, 2010
- High court permits usage of water cess levied on NHPC - Mar 31, 2012
- Handloom weavers to get credit card, interest subsidy - Nov 19, 2011
- Highlights of Union Budget 2011-12 (Part-III) - Feb 28, 2011
- BJP stages protest to highlight farmer's plight - Jun 14, 2008
- IRDA fines SBI Life Insurance Rs.70 lakh - Jul 09, 2011
- Tamil Nadu halves interest rate on non-farm credit - Jul 07, 2009
- Public sector bank's non-performing assets not alarming: FM - Aug 18, 2012