Rs.200 mn-worth ‘desi ghee’ order to Milkfed for SGPC gurdwarasJuly 12th, 2009 - 4:49 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 12 (IANS) Punjab-based milk products supplier Milkfed will supply its Verka brand desi ghee (clarified butter) worth Rs.200 million (Rs.20 crore) to Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) run gurdwaras (Sikh temples). The ghee is used for preparing “kada prasad” and “langar” served in community kitchens.
The SGPC has signed an agreement in this regard with the semi-government Milkfed, officials said Sunday.
“Milkfed has been supplying ghee to SGPC gurdwaras for the last two decades. The order last year (2008-09) was for Rs.12 crore (Rs.120 mn). The enhanced order is acknowledgement of our consistent quality,” Milkfed managing director V.K. Singh said.
Singh said that Verka ghee was very popular in Punjab and neighbouring states like Haryana, Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, and Jammu and Kashmir.
He said that Milkfed products had captured substantial market share in countries like the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Saudi Arabia, Oman, Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines, South Korea and Malaysia.
Singh said that export of desi ghee to these countries during the year 2008-09 was worth Rs.160 million (Rs.16 crore), an increase of 20 per cent compared to the previous year. He added that despite global recession, Milkfed was set to increase its ghee export to Rs.180 million (Rs.18 crore) this year.
- Milkfed lacks money to fight patent battle with NRI firm - Nov 07, 2010
- Slap murder charge if holy book is damaged: SGPC - Sep 29, 2011
- Badal seeks early release of border funds - Aug 25, 2011
- Haryana Sikh leader, 45 others sent to judicial custody - Sep 16, 2010
- Gurdwara committee polls slated for Sep 18 - Jul 28, 2011
- Haryana SGPC chief held as a preventive measure - Sep 15, 2010
- Security stepped up around Haryana gurdwaras - Sep 13, 2010
- Jhinda wants SGPC for Haryana - Sep 14, 2010
- Shimla goes without packaged milk - May 20, 2011
- Court refuses to stay Sep 18 SGPC poll - Sep 06, 2011
- Lassi becomes money spinner for Punjab milk cooperative - Jun 23, 2009
- Milkfed Punjab yet to recover its Gulf exports - Oct 30, 2010
- Haryana SGPC chief held, supporters block rail tracks (Lead) - Sep 15, 2010
- Akali Dal releases agenda for gurdwara panel poll - Aug 20, 2011
- Sehajdhari Sikhs want cancellation of SGPC poll - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: community kitchens, consistent quality, crore, global recession, gurdwaras, haryana, himachal pradesh, jammu and kashmir, langar, milk products, neighbouring states, rs 120, rs 180, saudi arabia, sgpc, sikh temples, south korea, substantial market, united arab emirates, worth rs