Rs.18,000-crore Air India restructuring plan approvedApril 3rd, 2012 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 3 (IANS) The long-awaited Rs.18,000 crore financial restructuring plan for cash-strapped Air India has finally been approved by a consortium of 19 banks led by State Bank of India, an official said here Tuesday.
The plan includes a debt restructuring of Rs.18,000 crore by the banks and a committed equity infusion by the government, the official said in a statement here.
The high-cost working capital debt of the national carrier stands at Rs.22,000 crore, of which the banks will restructure Rs.18,000 crore.
From this (Rs.18,000 crore), Rs.10,500 crore will be converted into long-term debt with a repayment period of 10-15 years.
The remaining Rs.7,400 croe will be repaid to banks through a government-guaranteed bond issue.
The proposed restructuring - which will now go for cabinet approval - will help AI reduce its interest outlay substantially.
As part of the airline’s restructuring plans, the government had announced an infusion of Rs.4,000 crore during the current fiscal, raising the airlines’ equity base to Rs.7,345 crore, in the union budget for 2012-13.
- Air India's turnaround plan approved - Apr 12, 2012
- Air India's turnaround plan approved (Roundup) - Apr 12, 2012
- Air India to raise Rs.7,400 crore in three months - Jul 16, 2012
- Air India to clear dues by Saturday (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- AI ground staff bunk duties, flights hit - Apr 05, 2012
- Government rolls out plan to help domestic airlines (Roundup) - Feb 07, 2012
- Government approves direct jet fuel import, Air India debt plan (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Air India to import aircraft turbine fuel direct - Mar 27, 2012
- Air India to get Rs.4,000 crore budget support for 2012-13 - Mar 16, 2012
- Air India board to meet Tuesday - Nov 29, 2011
- Air India board decides on loan restructuring, cost-cutting measures - Nov 29, 2011
- Air India board approves issue of preferential shares to lenders - Dec 29, 2011
- Government bound to revive Air India: Official - Jul 14, 2011
- Ministerial panel on Air India to meet next week: Ravi - Jul 18, 2011
- GoM on Air India refers equity infusion to cabinet - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: air india, bank of india, banks, bond issue, cabinet approval, capital debt, consortium, croe, debt restructuring, equity base, equity infusion, financial restructuring, national carrier, outlay, repayment period, state bank, state bank of india, term debt, union budget, working capital