Rs.11 bn to be spent annually on textile tech upgrade (Lead)June 24th, 2009 - 11:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) The government will spend Rs.1,100 crore (Rs.11 billion) annually till 2012 to provide subsidies and upgrade technology to the textile sector, Textiles Minister Dayanidhi Maran said here Wednesday.
The Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme (TUFS), which was launched to improve competitiveness and overall long term viability of the industry, has been extended till March 31, 2012.
“The government will invest Rs.1,100 crore in TUFS,” Maran told reporters while releasing the ministry’s 100-day agenda.
Besides, the government will provide health insurance to 150,000 weavers and open two textile parks under the Scheme for Integrated Textile Parks (SITP).
Maran said: “There are indicators the market is slowly picking up (but) not very drastically.”
He said the textile sector witnessed a 0.96 percent increase in employment since last year.
Some salient features of the 100-day agenda are:
– Inauguration of two integrated textile parks under SITP
– Launch of programme to train 50,000 weavers
– Health insurance for 150,000 weavers
– Training of 100,000 artisans
– ID cards for 150,000 artisans
– Expansion of the Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme coverage to benefit the decentralised sector
– Constitution of working group for a National Fibre Policy
– Marketing of handcrafted products through the Delhi Metro network
– To popularise jute shopping bags and made-ups in metros
– E-marketing of handlooms and handicrafts
– Seven modernised National Textile Corporation (NTC) mills to be made operational.
- Health insurance for 150,000 weavers planned - Jun 24, 2009
- Govt. committed to make NTC a world-class textile company: Maran - Jan 05, 2011
- Linking my 2006 letter with current scenario wrong: Maran - Nov 20, 2010
- Rs.2,100 crore sanctioned for textiles parks - Oct 27, 2011
- Centre restructures Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme - May 01, 2011
- Steps to boost Indian apparel exports on anvil - Aug 07, 2012
- Rajasthan's textiles push with nine dedicated parks - Sep 02, 2012
- Textile parks attract Rs.3,500 crore investment - Nov 25, 2010
- Financial subsidy for textiles sector to continue in 12th plan - Aug 25, 2011
- Tripura to get northeast's first textile park - Oct 30, 2011
- Textile sector remains core to the Indian economy: Minister - Aug 26, 2011
- Government mulls fiscal relief for textile industry (Lead) - Jun 12, 2009
- Infosys bags Rs.700 crore order from India Post - Aug 09, 2012
- Mulberry acreage to be expanded for boosting silk output - Jul 03, 2010
- CII demands Rs.50 bn for Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme - Feb 16, 2010
Tags: artisans, dayanidhi maran, delhi metro, handcrafted products, handicrafts, handlooms, health insurance, inauguration, jute shopping bags, launch, metro network, national textile corporation, salient features, sitp, technology upgradation fund, term viability, textile sector, tufs, ups, weavers