Rs.100 crore fraud unearthed in Gurgaon Citibank branchDecember 28th, 2010 - 11:02 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Dec 28 (IANS) A manager at the Gurgaon branch of Citibank siphoned off at least Rs.100 crore after luring customers into depositing money in the bank after promising to double the amount, police said Tuesday.Shivraj Puri, a relationship manager at the bank, opened three accounts in the branch in the name of his relatives Premnath, Sheela and Deeksha.
“He asked customers to deposit the money in those accounts in a scheme to double their money. When the money was deposited, Puri transferred it into his account,” a police officer said.
“The bank officials are still not sure of the amount but at least Rs.100 crore was deposited in the three accounts. The amount could be higher,” he added.
A Citibank spokesperson said internal investigations were on.
“We recently initiated an investigation into a certain set of suspicious transactions based on documents forged by an employee involving a few accounts in our Gurgaon branch. We immediately reported the matter to all the relevant regulatory and law enforcement authorities,” the spokesperson said.
“Identified suspicious transactions have been isolated and we are providing full assistance to the authorities in their investigations. This issue does not impact other accounts, transactions or customers of the bank,” the spokesperson added.
Cases of cheating and forgery were registered at the DLF Phase 2 police station Monday night, the police officer said.
- Citibank manager who duped investors of Rs.100 crore untraced - Dec 29, 2010
- Citibank manager who duped investors of Rs.200 crore untraced (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Citibank fraud: Manager surrenders in Gurgaon - Dec 30, 2010
- CitiBank fraud not a systemic failure: Mukherjee - Dec 29, 2010
- Citibank fraud: Gurgaon Police summons Puri's parents for interrogation - Jan 04, 2011
- Citibank fraud: Main accused Puri's remand extended till Friday - Jan 12, 2011
- Citibank fraud: Puri sent to judicial custody till Jan.28 - Jan 14, 2011
- Several parties involved in Citibank fraud, says Aggarwal - Jan 05, 2011
- Citibank fraud: Gurgaon Police registers FIR against Citi Group CEO Pandit - Jan 04, 2011
- Citibank manager accused of $65 mn fraud surrenders (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2010
- Citibank manager's parents summoned by police - Jan 04, 2011
- Citi banker accused of $65 mn fraud gets week-long police remand (Intro Roundup) - Dec 30, 2010
- First complaint lodged in Citibank fraud case (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- RBI to probe Citibank scam in Gurgaon - Jan 01, 2011
- First complaint lodged in Citibank fraud case, top brass named (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: bank officials, citibank branch, forgery, fraud, internal investigations, law enforcement authorities, monday night, money in the bank, phase 2, police officer, police station, relationship manager, relatives, sheela, spokesperson, suspicious transactions